Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to read books when I'm not working, but I've never read any on the topic of contracting/construction. I do small-midsize rehabs, i.e. paint and carpet, kitchens, bathrooms, etc. Do you have any favorite contracting/construction books, preferably on the business end of things (as opposed to the "how-to"-type books)?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
RS Means has some very useful information tucked away in its Cost books on estimating and job mobilization.
I suggest some reading on using checklists to guarantee consistantcy in high stress, or when tired. I think Capt. Sully's Hudson river miricle was largely due to use of the correct check list(and decades of training & of course talent)

For me reading about CPM and Gnatt charting have seemed to help in planning around show stopping probelms. Some very interesting schemes for identifying and handling equipement/personal utilization/apportionment exist.
Many GCs are either undercapitalised or still acting like interest rate are 2% a month instead 2%/year, sand bag on ordering/buying materials causing delays & job site overcrowding and lower profit/quality outcomes for their Subs.
Also any books on warehousing/ logtistics can be used by any contractor that still provides real products as part of their business model, I don't how to stock pile B.S.:smile:
There was a book on "Angels and Demons in Business" that has some excellant ideas on being and working with and becoming a "good" customer(s) and employer(s). Definately worth a read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts