Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of writing a scope for a contract and wondered what wording you guys use for work/items you don't include in your work proposal/scope

Which one?

Not included
or
Excluded

i.e. "Painting is not included" or " Painting is excluded"

I know which one sounds better but am concerned that one is clearer.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Which one?

Not included
or
Excluded

i.e. "Painting is not included" or " Painting is excluded"

I know which one sounds better but am concerned that one is clearer.
While painting may or may not be included or excluded, is it safe to assume the carpeting and tile is included?

My language is similar to this:
Anything not directly addressed in the scope is excluded from this contract and/or project.

So, no paint, no primer, no carpet, no tile...just some boxes and wire :thumbup:

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Is your skin a little thin to be a chief hand holder? :>)

I have used both forms depending on the day and my mood. "not included in this proposal" would be my wording on certain days, "is excluded" is more efficient and also acceptable. But then again, here's a partial quote from a recent job proposal:

We will install ½” sheetrock on walls and ceiling with seams and fastener heads taped and finished to level 4. Primer and paint are to be supplied and applied by owner.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I second David on this one. Whenever something is not included or exlcuded, I like to avoid using it and word it similar to how David has done so with a recent proposal.

I don't think that either term is clearer than the other, if you have a customer who understands "not included" but does not understand "excluded"....I might be concerned about what their definition of "payment" is.

·
Banned
538 Posts
im no GC but when i write a bill i simply put a description of what im doing. i dont put down what im not doing. then again i never deal with anything big. if they have any questions i just tell em, fahgettabbouuttiiiit

no im just kidding i really dont say "forget about it" in a stereotypical itailian accent. sorry for disrupting this thread. carry on...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think everyone understands "batteries not included". "Batteries excluded" maybe not.
Try to idiot proof as much as you can. I also do as another poster suggested and spell out clearly in the contract where I pass the torch to the HO (ie painting, staining, etc)
Home Owner to ___________ and ___________.

ABC Construction is not responsible for: X,Y and Z.

·
ampman
783 Posts
i always exclude everything that is not included -- i posted almost the same question in the electrical section

·
Registered
301 Posts
im no GC but when i write a bill i simply put a description of what im doing. i dont put down what im not doing. .
We did partook in a kitchen remodel where we did the sheet rock installation, doors & windows (and separate dog door :w00t:), and cabinets.

We finished all the sheetrock, mud & taping. Two days later I come in to do some final sanding and topcoats and the %$$&&^&# electricians had moved their boxes by cutting multiple holes in the walls and ceiling- so they could find the original wiring I guess, and they also tore some of their new wiring down through the sheetrock ripping 12-18" furrows down the middles of the sheets because their original layout for the undermount lights was incorrect.

The HO expected me to fix all the trade damage because 'you're doing the walls, right? Why WOULDN'T you fix it?' After a lengthy conversation, they still didn't understand why repairing trade damage to the walls that were already finshed was not part of the original scope ("but you're doing the walls!!!").

Had the same discussion about spraying texture on the walls. "What do you mean it's not in the original bid? You're doing the walls, right?"

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We did partook in a kitchen remodel where we did the sheet rock installation, doors & windows (and separate dog door :w00t:), and cabinets.

We finished all the sheetrock, mud & taping. Two days later I come in to do some final sanding and topcoats and the %$$&&^&# electricians had moved their boxes by cutting multiple holes in the walls and ceiling- so they could find the original wiring I guess, and they also tore some of their new wiring down through the sheetrock ripping 12-18" furrows down the middles of the sheets because their original layout for the undermount lights was incorrect.

The HO expected me to fix all the trade damage because 'you're doing the walls, right? Why WOULDN'T you fix it?' After a lengthy conversation, they still didn't understand why repairing trade damage to the walls that were already finshed was not part of the original scope ("but you're doing the walls!!!").

Had the same discussion about spraying texture on the walls. "What do you mean it's not in the original bid? You're doing the walls, right?"

This is exactly the reason for the OP.
Some people just don't get it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts