Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you in construction work by the hour or is most/all of your work by contract price?

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
gtcway said:
Do any of you in construction work by the hour or is most/all of your work by contract price?
This has been discussed a lot.

read this.

Or some of these.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Always hourly....but I only do small Handyman work :Thumbs:

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Contract only.......However I did knucle under for a friend recently, he soon became a partner in a few other ventures and it's working out well.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only time I charge by the hour is for emergency repair services or small handyman quick fix repairs like putting in a phone jack for the little old lady who lives down the block.

Most of the time you set yourself up for client upset when you go by the hour for any decent size job. You stop moving for one second and they start flipping out. If I do give a client a per hour or per day rate I will generlly give them a "not to exceed" price so they know the most they could expect for a bill.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sometimes, as a service to a client, working by the hour is necessary to get them out of a bind.

But this is not how you ordinarily conduct business. So the rate you charge should be high because hourly work is distracting you from the profitability of the CONTRACTING business you are engaged in.

High risk/reward contract work has no place for the sure thing of hourly work. If that's what you want, become a labor broker and rent out temporary help.

The game is all about who has the money, and who is at risk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts