Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any EC on here put verbage in their contracts about working on older eq. that if a lug breaks or a screw strips or even operating a disc. that breaks it will be repaired at extra cost. never got burned by this but have started adding it to my contracts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Adding specific language like that would then require you to create an entire shopping list of every single possibility. It's better to use broader and more general language.

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adding specific language like that would then require you to create an entire shopping list of every single possibility. It's better to use broader and more general language.
such as ?

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
X2, i write it up as an extra. It is extra work IMO and i treat it as so, customer cannot expect you to lose time/money for unforeseen problems. I broke a lug off in a meter socket this spring when upgrading the wire from the meter socket to the dis-connect "meter socket was new and live, dis-connect was new", i charged the HO for a new meter socket but only removed the lug that i needed and installed it in the live socket. Yes it was unforeseen, NO i just couldnt buy the lug that day, NO i didnt over tighten the lug as it was installed by someone else, Yes i repaired the problem correctly. Now this repair took a good hour to do as i had to unhook my trailer, find a new meter socket in town, dismantle the socket and then repair, no way was i going to flip the bill. Sorry for the long response.

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
X2, i write it up as an extra. It is extra work IMO and i treat it as so, customer cannot expect you to lose time/money for unforeseen problems. I broke a lug off in a meter socket this spring when upgrading the wire from the meter socket to the dis-connect "meter socket was new and live, dis-connect was new", i charged the HO for a new meter socket but only removed the lug that i needed and installed it in the live socket. Yes it was unforeseen, NO i just couldnt buy the lug that day, NO i didnt over tighten the lug as it was installed by someone else, Yes i repaired the problem correctly. Now this repair took a good hour to do as i had to unhook my trailer, find a new meter socket in town, dismantle the socket and then repair, no way was i going to flip the bill. Sorry for the long response.
i have had this happen to me as well and have allways been paid for the extra work but things are getting tight and i expect customers to start nitpicking

·
Registered
391 Posts
"Not responsible for existing defects in the wiring system of the premises. "
Simple as that. A lug that easily breaks is an existing defect in my book, same goes for a ready to crack apart circuit breaker, or a disconnect that falls apart from rust when you open the cover. I extend that to surface finishes also when old houses come into play. I can squeeze my hand right thru some beams after the Formosan termites get done with them, and the door jambs turn to paper as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts