Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are doing our first job for a GC next week. What I am wondering is when you agree to do work for someone what % do you ask for a deposit? Does anyone have a copy of a contract that you would have the GC/customer sign? I haven't had to use any contracts yet. Thanks in advance.

·
Todd
848 Posts
how big of a job is it?i would ask for 50% down...but without knowing all the details and how you feel about the company you are working for...i like the comfort of having some cash in hand...this is a niche business...dont let them treat you like you are easily replaced...chances are you are not

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops sorry about that. It is fire/smoke removal job on a cinder block garage, about $1,200. This is for a GC that has been around for over 30 years but I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have no idea what your costs are but for $1200 I would just do the job. Keep a short leash on the payment time. If they want to play with money to squeeze that last little bit of interest out of it, then they can go to a bank and borrow it.

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
1,200 is an amount I would let float 30 days. I entice my customers with larger payments 30k plus to pay a third down with a net 10 2% discount on the remaining amount. It really depends on who I am working for and the out of pocket overhead to get the job done. He might think your a little cheaky if you get on him about half down on a 1,200 dollar job. Out of state contractors are another deal all together. I took a job from D&W masonry out of Wisconsin and they stiffed me big time. Said I didn't complete the job and weren't going to pay me. We were washing a building and they found out that someone else was liable for the clean up so they had us stop where we were. I usually get half down when dealing with something iffy like this case and now im never going to proceed with any job from an out of stater without some money down. I had a rental cost along with chemical and 4 hrs labor on 3 guys. They wanted us in there rush rush and we agreed but didn't have a contract in place. Now all I can do is call the guy and get pissy over the phone which really doesn't do much. Beware of D&W masonry they have a track record of not paying subs, wow I really went off on that didnt' I. Good luck.

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
Its fine if he doesn't answer his phone, this work is busy when your the one holding the phone and hose at the same time. No problem just catch up some other time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anybody have a contract I could look at? I'm not quite sure were to start in writing one and do not want to leave anything out.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson

Half up front it has always worked that way as far as I know. On jobs that last over two weeks you get progress payments. I have to pay my employees. The work we are contracted for has been bugeted for. Get the money you need to operate. For private or industrail, public works you have to buy bonds

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.