Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I am a Certified Renovator (RRP) and had a contract to do a lot of lead paint disturbance work involving minor demo and a large amount of paint scraping. Confused why owner hired me to do things the "correct way" because the entire beginning of the process they complained about the EPA standards. They were wanting to bring on another contractor (non-certified) for other work so i had to partition the house off so there was no lead paint cross-contamination to his workspace. Suddenly my work became ten times more complicated by having a non-certified renovator in same house. Went to jobsite one day and the other contractor was doing my scope of work, non-certified, and definitely not following any EPA standards. Does this sound like a contract breach? The owner was there and approved of the other contractor doing the work they did. The owner seems very resistant and not wanting to get on the same page. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to have certified and non-certified work going on in the same home as i'm kind of forced into a situation of having to clean up their mess or go to great lengths and document everything. Dropped the job it was too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, if it is as you described, it would be a breach, However if you didn't have a clause in your contract giving you a legitimate reason to terminate the job, then you are also in breach. Call your lawyer.

Mike

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
wildtruffle said:
Hello - I am a Certified Renovator (RRP) and had a contract to do a lot of lead paint disturbance work involving minor demo and a large amount of paint scraping. Confused why owner hired me to do things the "correct way" because the entire beginning of the process they complained about the EPA standards. They were wanting to bring on another contractor (non-certified) for other work so i had to partition the house off so there was no lead paint cross-contamination to his workspace. Suddenly my work became ten times more complicated by having a non-certified renovator in same house. Went to jobsite one day and the other contractor was doing my scope of work, non-certified, and definitely not following any EPA standards. Does this sound like a contract breach? The owner was there and approved of the other contractor doing the work they did. The owner seems very resistant and not wanting to get on the same page. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to have certified and non-certified work going on in the same home as i'm kind of forced into a situation of having to clean up their mess or go to great lengths and document everything. Dropped the job it was too much of a hassle.
Call a lawyer for sure with advise in your area . Make sure you document everything and photos , sample kits . Sounds like one day you my get one of those calls . We have lead paint cause of you not doing your job .

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yes, if it is as you described, it would be a breach, However if you didn't have a clause in your contract giving you a legitimate reason to terminate the job, then you are also in breach. Call your lawyer.

Mike
Agreed. If you've legally terminated your work, then you need to formalize that fact, and formalize that whatever's going on there isn't your deal any more. If you're in breach, you need to figure out either how to get back on site and get that other contractor out of there, or figure out how to terminate your work legitimately.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Call a lawyer for sure with advise in your area . Make sure you document everything and photos , sample kits . Sounds like one day you my get one of those calls . We have lead paint cause of you not doing your job .
Yes, you want to be ready for that call, or worse yet, the call from the neighbors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great, thanks for the info. the work has been terminated and in writing/signed by the owner. i got two pictures of the contractor doing my scope of the work wrecklessly. i also wrote a fairly detailed log on the events of that day to keep in my records.

first job as a CR and it's refreshing to hear that we're all on the same page : )

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Something to consider. I'm not normally in favor of it, but your involvement gives you some exposure to the risks. You better make sure your records are in order - pictures, logs, etc. - no matter what you do.
Its not something I would do either. There will always be loads of grey areas and associated risks. If you wanted to work withoit risk you wouldnt work.

The other way would be to explajn that youre trying to protect everyone and they need to follow your lead or youre out which it sounds like the op did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts