Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have posted befoe regarding my continued problems with my 2-ton 10 Seer Goodman Heat Pump. It now appears that the problem is the unit is is EXACTLY sized for the square footage we have according to code byt logically it does not work.

There is absolutely ZERO leway with the size to square footage ratio and whenever it gets over 89 degrees our unit never shuts off and runs for hours on end. The Thermostat gets to the set point I have it at but it will never shut off. As you can imagine this is taking a toll on our power bills.

It looks like I will have to change out the unit for a 2.5 ton 12 seer unit. Can anyone give me a ballpark price on these things?? It sounds like I need the outside part and a new Air Handler as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
wolfcub said:
Well I have posted befoe regarding my continued problems with my 2-ton 10 Seer Goodman Heat Pump. It now appears that the problem is the unit is is EXACTLY sized for the square footage we have according to code byt logically it does not work.

There is absolutely ZERO leway with the size to square footage ratio and whenever it gets over 89 degrees our unit never shuts off and runs for hours on end. The Thermostat gets to the set point I have it at but it will never shut off. As you can imagine this is taking a toll on our power bills.

It looks like I will have to change out the unit for a 2.5 ton 12 seer unit. Can anyone give me a ballpark price on these things?? It sounds like I need the outside part and a new Air Handler as well.

There is no such thing as "leeway for size to sq. footage ratio". Sq. footage has zero to do with proper unit sizing. A Manual J load calculation is the only correct way to size an HVAC system. I would also recommend reading this: http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html before making any major changes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
HVAC Doc is right :Thumbs: get a Manual J calculation done. Another thing you might do is contact your local utility and ask if they do an energy audit. They might be able to point you towards home upgrades that need to be done anyway such as additional insulation, reduction in air infiltration. Some utilities even have thermographic cameras that will show where heat is entering your home and even show missing or settled wall insulation.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I was always taught that a properly sized system will run non stop on the hottest days of the year. I'm not sure if the quoted 89 degrees is among the hottest days in your area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank for the responses. Our Utility does not do energy audits any longer. Anyone else know if what mdshunk said is a fact (not that I am doubting you). I know that applies in the winter for the heat b/c it is two stage heat but the cooling is one stage so I am not sure that applies for the A/C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts