Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sell by Educating
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to hear some contractors opinions on content marketing. Do you do content marketing for your biz? If you do, have you had success with it? If not, why aren't you doing it?

·
More than pushing brooms!
79 Posts
Content marketing is the new king. If you look around online there are countless places totting the success of content marketing. All the same in our industry things can sometimes be a little difficult to have the time, or content to post. Content marketing is not an over night gimmick.

It works, but you need to stick with it long term and make an effort to actively post. Ideally, I try to do at least 1 article a month per website I manage. TBH 1 article a month isn't much, the problem I face is that this is our seasonal downtime and we don't have much to talk about. As a street sweeping, and conex container transport company we have slow times.

In a dream world, I would have at least 1 article a week per site. Very little about content marketing is set in stone beyond being on topic, having quality links, and not stealing other people's work.

·
Sell by Educating
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ProSweep, have you ever written down the top 25 questions you get from leads? If you sit down with anyone that is involved in sales you should be able to quickly brainstorm far more than 25 questions.

You can then turn each question into a blog post which is likely to hit relevant keywords and be of great value to prospects. You can then write a post every time you get a new question. You can also do posts for questions you get from current clients.

So the importance of getting quality links to get ranked in search results has a great deal to do with how competitive the keywords are and how saturated the industry is with content about it. The construction industry, in my opinion, is far from saturated with quality content. So most businesses are likely to get fairly fast results so long as their keyword & content strategy is sound, without ever paying much attention on a link strategy.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I think a stronger focus on inbound marketing is something I would like to get a handle on. Email, newsletters, social, blogging ect.

Im at a point where I cant rank any better, well not really. Sure I could rank a second page on the results, then a third- but whatever, eventually G will tighten up on multiple pages on the first page.

Remarketing is where I lose an opportunity. I dont do It because I dont know how thus havnt got any further.

·
Your Smart Marketing Guru
20 Posts
I think that in the future, content marketing will always have a place in the world of marketing in every kind of business. This is because people search the internet most importantly is because they need something. It has changed the way we communicate, and has also changed the way we seek and receive information. This is what we need to address in order to be successful in our online ventures, because our customers or audience are the life of every company.

To further understand the importance of content marketing, let us take this definition from the Content Marketing Institute.

“Content marketing is the art of understanding exactly what your prospects and customers need to know. Then delivering that content to them in a relevant and compelling way to grow your business”.

This definition alone summarizes why and how you do content marketing. It simply is a great way to reach out to your market and build your business.

·
Construction Marketing
4 Posts
Content marketing does work, but it also takes work. Hubspot has some interesting stats on leads vs posting frequency. Posting 3 times weekly delivers something like 80% more leads than once per month. Delivering value in those posts is the key. To do that, you must really know your audience and what problems they are looking to solve.

Construction is actually excellent for content marketing. Multimodal content, such as text, video, and images, convey info more effectively, especially for the "How to", design oriented, and problem solving subjects in our industry. Because of this, they have more value to the audience. The problem is they are also more difficult/expensive/time consuming to produce.

It's not limited to blog posts or web content, either. Guides, white papers, and e-books are also great content marketing examples. Leveraging platforms like Kindle and slideshare for greater exposure works well, too.

An e-Book? It's not as difficult as you may think. Repurpose content. It's a great way to maximize resources. Turn 25 related blog posts into an e-book. Offer it as a lead generator on your website. That works great for several kinds of contractors.

Take landscaping, for example. Take 25 landscape design posts, turn it into a landscape design e-book. Put it on Kindle and a few other platforms. Offer it as a lead generation incentive on your website. Leverage it into speaking engagements, seminars, or teaching a 2 hr landscaping design class at area home supply stores.

The advice from Kasia about writing down 25 questions is a good start. Content marketing value oriented and answering questions delivers value.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are firm believers in content marketing and have been doing it for about 8 months. We blog weekly (2 times) and are producing some downloadable eBooks to capture top of the funnel leads. Content is KING now a days and if you are in the business of driving sales, you need to be on board with it!

We have also had a lot of success with the FAQs approach. This is where you think of all the questions you have ever been asked and write a blog post about each of them. I am sure you could come up with 100s of articles based on that alone. Another trick is to blog about trending topics, new products, finished projects, etc.

Good luck with creating your content!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think that there's perhaps a tendency to say that content marketing can't work in an industry like construction, but I personally do not believe that is true. Like Barry_S said, construction is actually really well suited to this type of marketing. OK, you aren't going to get hundreds of likes on Facebook or Pinterest for a picture of a bag of nails, but if you have some beautiful imagery of a complete project, that can attract a lot of interest.

For example, I've seen posts on Reddit (the hugely popular self-styled front-page of the internet) about renovating a room get tens, if not hundreds, of votes. They even have a dedicated subreddit for home improvement.

It's not that content marketing won't work for you, it's that you have to think creatively outside the box. There are a lot of people all using the same techniques and strategies in the hope of achieving the same aim: more traffic. What that means for you is that if you want to cut through, you have to be better.

·
User
176 Posts
ProSweep, have you ever written down the top 25 questions you get from leads? If you sit down with anyone that is involved in sales you should be able to quickly brainstorm far more than 25 questions.

You can then turn each question into a blog post which is likely to hit relevant keywords and be of great value to prospects. You can then write a post every time you get a new question. You can also do posts for questions you get from current clients.
Barf! Who are you Marcus Sheridan?!

:laughing:

As soon as Google started punishing shady link building tactics, the SEO people formerly engaged in that had to come up with something else to tout as the new thing... and content marketing was born!

Of course, I'm being tongue in cheek with my response. I personally used "content marketing" to grow one of our businesses from zero to $5 million in revenue in six years. Not too shabby.

Ben

1 - 14 of 14 Posts