Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been soda blasting for a few years now for a company that does mold prevention and remidiation. I was blasting a house in New Orleans a little after Katrina and a neighbor called the cops because she said I was polluting the air. The cop didnt tell me anything, he told her he could not make me stop working.
Now that 'Im on my own and blasting more things outside at different locations Im wondering if any one has tried to make some kind of containment tent to set up around cars or smaller objects. I know you would have to have some sort of air filtration system to move the air.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
I was thinking of trying to build something out of one of these

http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm?catid=58

that folds up. I have lost about 10 job's because I didn't have a place to blast a car. Today I lost a $500 job to a guy who has a blast room.

The air supply could be a fan powered by a small engine from harbor fright then have the out flow go into a large metal box with water misters that shoot water down on to the flow of dusty air exiting. Trying to use a filter system will be too restrictive for the size which would be portable. It's a lot cheaper then buying property or making people move there project. with the white plastic the sun light should be bright enough to see well inside.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out this site as well farmtek.com they have some stuff like that I was thinking of looking into one of these for a blast shop. I have a place I can put it with an asphalt floor which is cheaper than concrete and you can get end walls for it with metal roll up door and on one end I was going to build a filtering evacuation wall kind of like a spray booth at a powder coat shop.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
The blow up tent looks interesting, but I think actually trying to work with one, not just the blow ups, might be more dificult than it seems.

You have to have a customer that has a very large flat accesible place to set it up. I have done tons of mobile auto glass work and I see most people's homes have a small front yard right next to another home and trees in it and a fenced back yard, just no place for a ten or twelve foot wide structure.

If they have room in the back yard it has to have been dry enough that you can drive around their home without destroying the ground.

Wind of course. Packing up a giant soaking wet sack if it gets rained on. The real experience may be disapointing. Not at all wishing to be a downer about this. It would be a great to have as an option but there are so many obsticles. Hasn't anyone in here done this yet. Maybe with a good experience?

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Most of the ones I have seen they have the room everything is flat here and dry most of the time. Not many trees either most people have gravel yards and hardly anyone has grass or tree's growing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most of the ones I have seen they have the room everything is flat here and dry most of the time. Not many trees either most people have gravel yards and hardly anyone has grass or tree's growing. Very different then the north east where you get a lot of rain and snow trees and grass everywhere.
yes, my parents live in page, az and they actually have ordinances about picking up your pets poop... not because its nasty... its because it dries and stays around forever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts