Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a remodeling company. The company is fairly young, and I'm curious... Who have you guys found to be the most beneficial contacts(friends) to make?? Who (and what position or title) is in the best place to have the potential to bring in new customers. I know insurance agents(by law they can't recommend any particular co.) I am familiar with some real estate agents (same applies). But I have had some luck w some of them on a personal note as far as a call for a bid goes. I am continually trying to build my contacts, who should I target? What has worked for you in the past? I want to grow my business, I have high hopes. There is also a good market where I'm at. And I stay fairly busy. I've just now started to give each customer the attention they deserve and try to build our word of mouth marketing. There are a couple problems I face. One is that most companies in my area are established, and buddy buddy with a lot of the right ppl. Another is that my level of quality is much higher than the norm in these areas, inherently I charge more. Therefore I don't win as many bids as I'd like. What can I do? I want more of the market. What advertising works? How can I claim my share? I know that our attention to quality is a good niche to be in, however its so overused its hard to say "ya I'm the best" and have ppl actually believe you. Any and all thoughts on this are appreciated.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I own a remodeling company. The company is fairly young, and I'm curious...

Who have you guys found to be the most beneficial contacts(friends) to make??

Contacts are hard to just make. There has to be a level of trust and knowledge in order to establish a working relationship. With that said, start every conversation trying to make a connection and make sure that you ask a lot of questions about them and do a lot of listening. People like to talk about themselves and have people listen.

Who (and what position or title) is in the best place to have the potential to bring in new customers. I know insurance agents(by law they can't recommend any particular co.) I am familiar with some real estate agents (same applies). But I have had some luck w some of them on a personal note as far as a call for a bid goes.

Unless you personally know a real estate agent don't waste your time. All that you will get is bids so that they can get a lower sale price for their customer and if it's for the seller they have to get at least three bids so you are probably just a filler bid.

I am continually trying to build my contacts, who should I target?

Other contractors who do what you do. If they have overflow and cannot handle the work load they will want to find people that they trust and know their work.

What has worked for you in the past? I want to grow my business, I have high hopes. There is also a good market where I'm at. And I stay fairly busy. I've just now started to give each customer the attention they deserve and try to build our word of mouth marketing. There are a couple problems I face. One is that most companies in my area are established, and buddy buddy with a lot of the right ppl. Another is that my level of quality is much higher than the norm in these areas, inherently I charge more. Therefore I don't win as many bids as I'd like. What can I do?

Learn to sell your value. Know what separates you from your competition and why your more expensive methods are better and more valuable in the long run.

I want more of the market. What advertising works? How can I claim my share? I know that our attention to quality is a good niche to be in, however its so overused its hard to say "ya I'm the best" and have ppl actually believe you. Any and all thoughts on this are appreciated.
Online reviews from Yelp are gold. Make sure that you have a decent site. A lot of guys will tell you rank and SEO are what you need to focus on, but I think it's more important that you know what you want out of your site and make it work. Make sure it is clean and easy to navigate. Make sure that you use pictures of your own work. Place a contact form on every page. (I am still working on that one for myself).

There may be some business groups in your area that meet on a regular basis. Usually these groups only allow one representative from each area to join. Networking is a great tool. Find workshops on business and go to them. You will meet a lot of people.

Make sure that where ever you go you have business cards on hand. And be ready to sell you and your company every where and all of the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts