Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Windwash
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a place that resembles Finehomebuilding's Breaktime in the early 2000's, JLC or Contractortalk 2004-2013.

·
Builder
31,096 Posts
Heard good thing about a NAHB Connect if you're an NAHB member

I get it - unfortunately I dont know of anywhere without politics in 2022 really - hard to come up with a subject that's not trade specific that politics won't get brought up that I've seen. Somewhere without off topic discussions I'd imagine, every social topic is polarized and divided

·
Registered
General Contractor
74 Posts
Heard good thing about a NAHB Connect if you're an NAHB member

I get it - unfortunately I dont know of anywhere without politics in 2022 really - hard to come up with a subject that's not trade specific that politics won't get brought up that I've seen. Somewhere without off topic discussions I'd imagine, every social topic is polarized and divided
This is spot on. For better or for worse, it's really the state of our current culture. It's difficult to think of an area that doesn't become political. Humans are complicated and thoughts, opinions, etc. don't exist in a vaccum--always impacted and involved by the state of things.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
7,182 Posts
This place is still pretty good.

The mega threads in off topic are basically P&R, stopped checking into those a while back, it’s just pretty much @Deckhead and @Robie going at it……😳🤣🤣

Most of the trade threads are apolitical. For now. 🤣

The TinMan does a good job of making us clean up our act when we get out of hand. 👍

·
Windwash
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't get the need to keep politics out. That's like asking for a construction forum that doesn't involve hammers.
How about a construction forum that doesn't involve conversations about engineering or pricing. Those seem like items that may fall into the contracting category right next to hammers and before politics. I can say I'd like to harm someone of the opposite political party but I can't say "my supplier hasn't gotten back to me yet, any body got a ballpark on Azek vintage collection in Mpls.". You can't even talk about prescriptive engineering topics which are right in the code book.

To be clear..I'm talking about regular threads, not off topic or P and R.

·
Registered
568 Posts
How about a construction forum that doesn't involve conversations about engineering or pricing. Those seem like items that may fall into the contracting category right next to hammers and before politics. I can say I'd like to harm someone of the opposite political party but I can't say "my supplier hasn't gotten back to me yet, any body got a ballpark on Azek vintage collection in Mpls.". You can't even talk about prescriptive engineering topics which are right in the code book.

To be clear..I'm talking about regular threads, not off topic or P and R.
So find a new site to cry on and go away. I've never seen anyone shy away from talking material prices but regional differences make it a moot point. Engineering is a slippery slope as we aren't there and bad info can hurt someone. You either enjoy this place or you don't, no one forcing you to be here.

In MA azek vintage is running right about $5LF you can get it. If the engineering is in the code book why would you have to ask? My lumber yard does my engineering for free provided I buy the materials from them, not sure I want my beams calculated by some internet cowboys.

·
Windwash
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So find a new site to cry on and go away. I've never seen anyone shy away from talking material prices but regional differences make it a moot point. Engineering is a slippery slope as we aren't there and bad info can hurt someone. You either enjoy this place or you don't, no one forcing you to be here.

In MA azek vintage is running right about $5LF you can get it. If the engineering is in the code book why would you have to ask? My lumber yard does my engineering for free provided I buy the materials from them, not sure I want my beams calculated by some internet cowboys.
Kinda like you didn't have to read this thread but you did. Had to have a little cry about me? I'm suprised you didn't tell me to sack up and put on my big boy pants which seems to be all the rage around here.

·
Builder
31,096 Posts
Kinda like you didn't have to read this thread but you did. Had to have a little cry about me? I'm suprised you didn't tell me to sack up and put on my big boy pants which seems to be all the rage around here.
Pricing gets discussed all the time and it's fine for what you're talking about, materials et cetera.. We do not want somebody asking how much to charge for a project, you can always PM specific members, I have had many phone conversations emails and texts about projects back-and-forth for years from this forum

There is whole threads literally discussing specific prices of certain materials et cetera during this pandemic. I've never been an issue.

As far as the toxic masculine stuff not really sure why that surprises anyone its not much different than a lockerroom or job site. If you boock me you'll save 70% of that 🤣

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,521 Posts
Pretty hard to keep it out of construction when politics infects just about everything you touch now. Especially supply issues, 100% politically driven. It could be fixed in a month if they wanted to. But they don't so it goes on for over a year. You have politics driving housing rules, you have it driving the building inspectors and you have it driving zoning laws.

Now politics tells you that you can't have natural gas in your house and have to use electricity to heat. And that gas generator you use when there is no power available, nope, illegal. And when you want a landscaper to come to your place and clean it up - all electric by mandate, soon to be law.

Most of that crap is in the far west, but it'll creep across the country to infect life as a contractor here too.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Town I do most of my work in is getting rid of fossil fuels for heating in 2023. That's for new construction and they are banning gas powered leaf blowers ect. this spring.

Where do these people think the power comes from?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts