Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was confronted by the HOA *******, says I can not dump my business trash in the dumpsters. I really don't have a problem with it, If he just would of asked me not to or explained the rules, but that is not what happened.

I live in a multi use area, that has business and residential living, my business address is where I live. We do not rent an actual office space, but below us is Commercial use. I do not know the rules, i am a renter, i don't really care, because I hate living where I do anyway.

I told the HOA guy to talk to my landlord and not me. But he refused to leave me be and wanted an explanation. I have lived here for almost 2 years and have been putting my trash in the dumpster. I have receipts for all hazardous trash that i take to the dump.

So basically I have electrical trash, lot's cardboard, plastic, drywall holes, scrap wires etc...We have 6 dumpster's and they were here way before me.

·
ampman
783 Posts
its the old panels,disconnect,meter bases he cares about , anyway hoa's suck

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Today I was confronted by the HOA *******, says I can not dump my business trash in the dumpsters. I really don't have a problem with it, If he just would of asked me not to or explained the rules, but that is not what happened.

I live in a multi use area, that has business and residential living, my business address is where I live. We do not rent an actual office space, but below us is Commercial use. I do not know the rules, i am a renter, i don't really care, because I hate living where I do anyway.

I told the HOA guy to talk to my landlord and not me. But he refused to leave me be and wanted an explanation. I have lived here for almost 2 years and have been putting my trash in the dumpster. I have receipts for all hazardous trash that i take to the dump.

So basically I have electrical trash, lot's cardboard, plastic, drywall holes, scrap wires etc...We have 6 dumpster's and they were here way before me.
Shoulda asked 'em, "Which would you prefer--I dump under that freeway overpass or dump 'em in the back of Aunt Shirlee's alleyway?":shutup:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He didn't seem to state any particular items, just that I was using the dumpsters for my business. Which I agree, I live here and pay rent, I use the dumpsters. He says he's going to make my life a living hell( yes for using the dumpsters or was it me cursing him)?

So basically i'm a renter and i could careless about any HOA *******. Is there anything I should not dump the dumpster. Concrete I dump at the city dump and I don't put FL. bulbs either.

·
ampman
783 Posts
He didn't seem to state any particular items, just that I was using the dumpsters for my business. Which I agree, I live here and pay rent, I use the dumpsters. He says he's going to make my life a living hell( yes for using the dumpsters or was it me cursing him)?

So basically i'm a renter and i could careless about any HOA *******. Is there anything I should not dump the dumpster. Concrete I dump at the city dump and I don't put FL. bulbs either.
when you move out please don't turn on the water and spray paint the walls

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
HOA's are a pain in the ass. I got contracted to repaint some exteriors in an addition where all the homes were the same color. A guy who lived across the street was painting his house different colors, he came over and talked to me and I told him he wasnt supposed to do that. He said he didnt care he bought the house and would paint it when he wanted and whatever color he wanted. I get a call from the HOA president to come paint the guys house back to the original color, I guess they took him to court over it and he lost, I didnt paint it because I was told that they were gonna bill the HO and he would pay me, I didnt like the sound of that so I declined the job. Who knows how long it would take to get your money out of a pissed off HO who didnt really want your services to begin with.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts

Technically anyone who rents commercial space the landlord is suppose to provide a dumpster for commericial tenants to place their non hazardous office material in. But not material from your job sites.

He is being a dick though

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts

The guy should have been more diplomatic, but the dumpsters are there for residential use, not commercial use, don't your jobsites have dumpsters?

Since you are in California, I wouldn't antagonize the guy too much as he may start calling the EPA, EPC and other environmental organizations and you may get fined.

In Hillsborough County which is where I live it is illegal to dump commercial waste into residential dumpsters.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
So you haul trash from a jobsite, which should be providing dumpsters for that trash, you dump it at your "office", which is really your house, and get called on it, and the guy who calls you on it is the dick? I'd say he's totally in the right.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Technically anyone who rents commercial space the landlord is suppose to provide a dumpster for commericial tenants to place their non hazardous office material in. But not material from your job sites.

He is being a dick though
Depends on where you are and what is in the lease, I have a tenant that is in a builidng I manage and the lease states he is required to have his own dumpsters.

One thing that is not in the lease is parking, most if not all leases state how many parking spaces the tenant gets and where they are, since we bought the building and inherited this tenant, we are stuck with this lease and when we want to get rid of him we will just not allow any parking on the site, or we will demo the parking lot before we start on the demo of the building.

It is hard to say if the guy is being a dick, for 2 years apparently nothing was said, now it is an issue, could it be the guy is filling up the dumpsters with his commercial waste and causing the homeowners problems, he did say he put a lot of cardboard in the dumpsters.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
At my house there is on street garbage collection onece a week, I put out about 5 patially full contractor bags of old drywall, insulation and normal garbage all mixed together. They were heavy enough, but not too heavy; one garbage man ripped the bag open saw the drywall and left a note that said "they do not collect construction or renovation material"....I thought to myself why do I pay a yearly tax for this service then if they don't even pick up my garbage?

hbelectric, I took a bit of heat with the landloard at my shop for "dumpster abuse" (yet I had alot of trash from jobsites). All I do now is bag it up neatly in contractor garbage bags (the black opaque ones) and toss it in. :shifty:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
At my house there is on street garbage collection onece a week, I put out about 5 patially full contractor bags of old drywall, insulation and normal garbage all mixed together. They were heavy enough, but not too heavy; one garbage man ripped the bag open saw the drywall and left a note that said "they do not collect construction or renovation material"....I thought to myself why do I pay a yearly tax for this service then if they don't even pick up my garbage?

hbelectric, I took a bit of heat with the landloard at my shop for "dumpster abuse" (yet I had alot of trash from jobsites). All I do now is bag it up neatly in contractor garbage bags (the black opaque ones) and toss it in. :shifty:
Why don't you leave the trash at the jobsite where it belongs?

Household pick up of garbage is for garbage generated at the residence, not commercial trash.

At our commercial builing the dumpster is for trash generated at that location only, when we do a major clean out I either have a container brought in or use my dump trailer and take it to a commercial dump and pay for it.

When we are doing a renovation or a new building, I as the GC have to supply a dumpster for the subs to put their trash that is generated onsite in, the last bill for a 40 yard dumpster I got emptied was a little under $800.

I can see why the HOA and the landlords get upset, you give an inch, they take a mile.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Why don't you leave the trash at the jobsite where it belongs?
I do in new construction; I take all the garbage generated away with me as a service, but for small retrofit jobs its not worth it to rent a roll-off or take a trip to the dump for one bag of garbage.

Household pick up of garbage is for garbage generated at the residence, not commercial trash.
Yes I know, I was refering to mixing in some trash from my kitchen renovation, from my residence. Myself and my neighbours have put out many bundles of old floor boards and deck boards bundled up and they take them no problem, carpet rolled up no problem; but the second I mix some drywall in with my garbage bags I get a notice?

When we are doing a renovation or a new building, I as the GC have to supply a dumpster for the subs to put their trash that is generated onsite in, the last bill for a 40 yard dumpster I got emptied was a little under $800.
And for a large job I would do the same; although my jobs typically generate a bag or two of garbage per job, not a 40yard dumpster's worth. That must have been a pretty heavy dumpster, here we pay about 85CND/MT.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I do in new construction; I take all the garbage generated away with me as a service, but for small retrofit jobs its not worth it to rent a roll-off or take a trip to the dump for one bag of garbage.

Yes I know, I was refering to mixing in some trash from my kitchen renovation, from my residence. Myself and my neighbours have put out many bundles of old floor boards and deck boards bundled up and they take them no problem, carpet rolled up no problem; but the second I mix some drywall in with my garbage bags I get a notice?

And for a large job I would do the same; although my jobs typically generate a bag or two of garbage per job, not a 40yard dumpster's worth. That must have been a pretty heavy dumpster, here we pay about 85CND/MT.
Just because you mix your trash with your garbage doesn't make it OK, you obviously know you can't do it, that is why you are going through the hassle to conceal your commercial trash.

Why don't you buy a trailer and take your trash that is generated by you on your jobsites to the dump and pay to dump it like the rest of us do?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Maybe he was rude or not diplomatic, but I agree with him. Office paper, etc I might argue with, but material packaging or job-site refuse...I have to agree. We keep an 18 foot trailer parked at our shop for this purpose, place the 'tile boxes', scrap lumber, etc or whatever in contractor bags on jobs that don't have a container, take to the trailer in pickups and dump once a week or so. Have to agree with the HOA on the principal of 'allowing' the trash. Rules are rules, ridiculous or not.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Just make sure you don't leave French fries or half eaten sub sandwiches in the truck for too long, they'll stink up truck real quick.
Just had to clean some of that out of the truck

getting back to the OP Dumpsters cost a lot of money to have emptied When I did large remodels I always put one on the job and it would pi** me off to no end to come in on monday and find the thing overflowing because every scu**ag in the neighborhood would fill it with their junk. I didn't even allow the guys to put lunch trash in it ( crows would have sh*t all over the yard the next day.

Last job I did in DC i had to get a special dumpster with a top welded on to keep other sh*t out of it. Came in on Monday to find 2 sofa's 4 tires and assorted other stuff on top.

I have had the trash company refuse to pull a dumpster because of stuff like that in it (Tires are a no no and a sofa is considered a biohazard and can't go to the rubble dump)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts