Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I submitted my plans for permit approval. I have everyone scheduled for the entire job. All quotes are in my hands. I am ready for construction. I get a call from codes official. He explains to me that since this is going to be an office showroom, I will need to make it ADA compatible. What am I going to do now? How can I fix this and try and salvage my schedule? If I lose my place with my subs it could be weeks or months to get back on their schedules. Does anybody have any ideas? This hasn't happened before and I am new to the business. :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you get firm quotes without approved plans? Also, what changes are they requiring.
I should have also mentioned this is a problem for my management class I am taking for college. I have recently gone back to college to get extra credits and some more experience. Is they are way you could help me out in a hypothetical way?

I have never had to deal with ADA.

Heres how i would proceed but I need a little help. I would let all my subs and crew members aware of the ADA change. Then I would see if in my schedule I could put all the ADA components in with my crew members as well as my subs to see if I could either cut a few hours of regular construction and replace it with adding all the ADA components necessary for the building. It might push my schedule back a week or two but I think overall it would be a huge deal. But then I have to think about the unexpected news to break to my subs and I try to make it easier for them. Thats all in my opinion. Any Ideas??

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
For Extra Credit... You as GC just lost all your companies profit due to not doing your due diligence. Clearly thats worth 20 points eh?

·
Super Moderator
24,654 Posts
So just what exactly does your hypothetical entrance look like?

Depending on the issues it could very simple & inexpensive fix or be an absolute nightmare & deal breaker.

Although ADA requirements are nothing new owners usually are not aware of them. ANYONE involved in the project from initial meetings, design work & then bidding will recognize the need to address ADA issues.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Skizor1337 said:
I should have also mentioned this is a problem for my management class I am taking for college. I have recently gone back to college to get extra credits and some more experience. Is they are way you could help me out in a hypothetical way? I have never had to deal with ADA. Heres how i would proceed but I need a little help. I would let all my subs and crew members aware of the ADA change. Then I would see if in my schedule I could put all the ADA components in with my crew members as well as my subs to see if I could either cut a few hours of regular construction and replace it with adding all the ADA components necessary for the building. It might push my schedule back a week or two but I think overall it would be a huge deal. But then I have to think about the unexpected news to break to my subs and I try to make it easier for them. Thats all in my opinion. Any Ideas??
They call that a problem? Shoot. That's barely enough to make your day halfway interesting...

·
Eater of sins.
4,569 Posts
This is the kind that thing that happens all too often. I guess even in a hypothetical/class room situation.
GC gets hard numbers form subs before having approved plans. The subs should be asking why they are bidding off of non-approved plans but the GC will say that they have great confidence that they are right or that the plans the subs are bidding from are just non-stamped but approved. This chit happens all the time.
Now not only does the Archy have to change the plans, they have to go back through the plan check process and maybe get kicked back again for corrections. That could take a lot of time. Your schedule is screwed.
Make your apologies to the subs and let them know you will be resubmitting good approved plans back to them if they are still interested in bidding.
Then ask the Archy how he could miss such an obvious thing as ADA requirement for so public a place as an office showroom (whatever that is).

Andy.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
As far as your subs go, there should be very little difference in labor, just materials and layout. You should be able to save the project and get an A.
Let just hope we can build a ramp to fantasy land, and not have a need for a wheel chair lift. Now go have a talk to all your subs because no one said A.D.A. Door handels, sink hight, toilet hight, knee protection, turn around space, and the list goes on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts