Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Constant Calls from DIY Hangers

14K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Nobbler 
#1 · (Edited)
"I'd do it, just don't have the time to do the taping and finishing ... besides you can probably do it much quicker (implying a drive on cost by total hours)"

Anyone else keep getting these nuisance calls ?

One or two of these kinds of mess ups a long while back, gave me an accurate depiction of what can reasonably be expected of a DIY'r. Poorly seamed. Missed screws. Fractured board. Everything out of whack. Maybe even backed by the same quality framing.

This mentality that they can fractionalize on cost. With my experience they normally add to cost and total effort required.

#2 ·
Nothing wrong with a guy trying to do work in his home himself. With proper preparation and understanding, there really isn't anything that a guy can't do on his own. Sure it'll take longer, and there'll be more stumbles along the way, but that's to be expected.

On the other hand, it's also normal for someone to attempt a repair or remodel on their own, get exasperated or realize that it's not as time (read: cost) effective as they thought, and call in a professional to finish the job.

I truly don't understand the mentality that seems to prevail on this forum that seeks to disparage the guys who attempt to do their own home repairs. That should be applauded. Many of them will get it done to their satisfaction, and many won't. The ones that won't are probably going to end up calling a contractor to finish the job after they learn that it's not worth their time, or they don't think they have the skill, or whatever their reasoning is.

#3 · (Edited)

I truly don't understand the mentality that seems to prevail on this forum that seeks to disparage the guys who attempt to do their own home repairs. That should be applauded. Many of them will get it done to their satisfaction, and many won't. The ones that won't are probably going to end up calling a contractor to finish the job after they learn that it's not worth their time, or they don't think they have the skill, or whatever their reasoning is.
On these type calls, I've noticed that it has been rare that any taping was even attempted.

For those that "won't get it done to their satisfaction" -- is it right that they call a contractor with expectations of a quality end-product when the contractors' work relies on the integrity of the prior process?

...On the other hand, it's also normal for someone to attempt a repair or remodel on their own, get exasperated or realize that it's not as time (read: cost) effective as they thought, and call in a professional to finish the job.
I've been called out too, on a situation where the homeowner has painted his exterior from stepladder height. On a three story Victorian style structure. Apparently he just didn't have the time to break out the 32 foot extension ladders, starting from top-down like it should be done.

As far as the innocent effort, I agree, but normally find this more the exception.

Most everyone knows how to patch walls, and will tell so. Offhand, I can't recall ever seeing a homeowner who could do it right.

Part of this thread is about how DIY drywallers operate behind a veil, when faced with requesting paid help.

#9 ·
We used to get hammered with calls about the same. We go in and assess knowing that it's a homeowner install. Many times we would pull sheets down and rehang. Ended for us to be a much tighter install and we were more confident in the finished product. This was a little more costly for the homeowner but they didn't complain at all because they realized they were in over their head 9 out of 10 times. The other one just explain the cost is by the hour and cover you and your guys time. Get it done and make a contact if you want that. For us in remodeling it's more important that for those specializing in drywall only.

#10 ·
..This was a little more costly for the homeowner but they didn't complain at all because they realized they were in over their head 9 out of 10 times. The other one just explain the cost is by the hour and cover you and your guys time. Get it done and make a contact if you want that. For us in remodeling it's more important that for those specializing in drywall only.
Unfortunately there is no way to get this across before they start their project, they'd save overall. It becomes the same learning process time and again, whether they want to pay for it or not.

#12 ·
The absolute worst hanging job I've ever seen was done by me. The framing was done by someone else. Lots of angles, very cut up, and nothing to screw to in a lot of areas. Even areas that had to be more or less plumb and square (tub/shower, bath vanity,...) weren't.

Thick skimmed the whole thing - nobody sees the awful mess under the paint.

#17 · (Edited)
Instead of getting distracted by their mentality, be pleasant and focus on your offer. If you're interested, "Hmmmm....ok....hmmm....sure, I can do this for __ or _____). Don't try to read their mind too much.

When folks seem to be projecting their intentions to pay cheap, ignore it. It's not easy. I have a few responses for all those "If I had more time..." comments. "Me, too!" "Yup, that's what makes the world go round." "Oh, you should just find the time since you want to do it yourself." (works especially well when wife is speaking on behalf of busy husband)

#21 ·
Maybe its cause I dont do it all the time but I don't see how it cost more to tape and texture a room that a HO hung there self's. Even if the owners dont know about butt ends and beveled ends and hang it wrong for feather it out 6"-10" further and blam your done. Coat 123 texture paint. Easy. I think you guys that have a problem with making money. If your robbing from a HO because he or she wanted to but some sweat equity into there house I think that is just wrong. I can understand explaining that because of the hanging job its going to cost 1 or 2$ more a sheet but to steal there equity is wrong. It takes what 3 min a joint to feather out more.

#40 · (Edited)
Just visited another (after others).

HO did the wall framing, hanging and nearly all paper taping.

But cut short the tape in many spots so there are gaps without overlap. There's un-level ceiling and wall planes (drywalled over a bumped sistered floor joist, spliced bottom and top plates, crooked framing at end joints) with the taping smeared over with mud, with little to no consistency, making it hard to see if there's actually adhesion in many spots (not to mention covered screw/attachments). Though some visible areas show separation of tape, with severe crinkling of paper and patched over breakouts in the wallboard.

Pulling all tape and sanding is out of the question and I don't sheetrock entire rooms any more.

Looks like he wants to go ahead with t & m in an effort to resolve this, with the clear victor being so far the project ...

Can't get results at this point, only improvements... debating on whether to enter into it, even while listing what I cannot be responsible for which is basically everything... most everything is concealed before I sat foot in the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.