Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
14,852 Posts
I have lived in FL since 04. I see little to NO racism at all, I live in a "mixed neighborhood" and all is great here. I see a lot of scam artists and contractor's licenses of any kind seem to be a license to steal. Good contractors are actually hard to find here.
Weather? In Central Florida (Tampa area) we have three seasons. Spring, HOT, HOT and HUMID. While it may not get above 92 often, the heat index (humidity) can make you wish you were anywhere else.
If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen the Carolinas, or definitely Texas or even stayed in San Jose. Had I stayed in SJ my house would have earned me more than working for a living in FL.

I also have bad feelings about West Coast people coming to the south. IT seems that when they get here they tend to Vote as West Coast leftist idiots and fools. In other words YOU allowed California to become what it is, when you move you tend to VOTE the SAME and bring your problems with you. This destroyed Oregon and Washington States altogether. That means you will make EVERY PLACE YOU MOVE TO make the same problems as CA. Think hard before you destroy another state by being who you are and coming there. Calif does not work. I go back and there is NO CA any longer, it is as foreign as Hidalgo Mexico, or N. Korea, except there are no indigents ****ting and pissing in the stairwells of apartment buildings that charge 3800 a month for a 1 br in the foreign countries.
That was smpierres way of saying, stay in California. Parents moved to Florida in '69. Me being 4 decades old, I've known no other place. The Florida I grew up in no longer exists either. It does up in north Florida, north of Ocala. You're correct about the GC's here. Many of them are more pencil pushers then they are builders and they just find a way to squeeze another dollar out every chance they get. There are some good ones and they are worthwhile to stick to.

Our family welcomes new people but always inform them that this place is not nearly as awesome as it was growing up. Just don't come here and complain about what you left is so awesome. If you do and you need native Floridians, yours going to have a REAL hard time getting things done.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I also have bad feelings about West Coast people coming to the south. IT seems that when they get here they tend to Vote as West Coast leftist idiots and fools. In other words YOU allowed California to become what it is, when you move you tend to VOTE the SAME and bring your problems with you.
Same with immigrants from NY and NJ. You left that economy and lifestyle for a reason … leave it behind.

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,335 Posts
I have lived in FL since 04. I see little to NO racism at all.
Don't tell people that! Only mention the awful parts. Like the 4 seasons - wet, dry, tourist, and hurricane. "dry" season is still humid, just not AS humid. Lasts about 6 weeks. Mid wet season you can set your clock by the torrential downpours every day. There are dinosaurs in the golf courses, sand gets in everything, and don't forget about the face eating zombies - theres been a couple of them sighted chowing down on peoples faces. Florida Men everywhere throwing baby alligators through drive fhru windows, and tons of cartel drug smuggling violence everywhere. It's 100% uninhabitable.

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,335 Posts
That was smpierres way of saying, stay in California. Parents moved to Florida in '69. Me being 4 decades old, I've known no other place. The Florida I grew up in no longer exists either. It does up in north Florida, north of Ocala. You're correct about the GC's here. Many of them are more pencil pushers then they are builders and they just find a way to squeeze another dollar out every chance they get. There are some good ones and they are worthwhile to stick to.

Our family welcomes new people but always inform them that this place is not nearly as awesome as it was growing up. Just don't come here and complain about what you left is so awesome. If you do and you need native Floridians, yours going to have a REAL hard time getting things done.
I've been in and out of FL since 86. It's been getting worse and worse over time. I'm wondering if Osceola might have some "Real Florida" left in it, but it's pretty costly there like everywhere else.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,255 Posts
61 - 66 of 66 Posts