Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Kowboy has basically said what it takes in FL.
Prep school (like CamTech), 2 exams, license paperwork (use a company like Licenses Etc) fork over the money and a couple months later you should be good to go.

If you do decide on Florida get the highest license you qualify for. I.e if you qualify for a CGC don’t just go for a CRC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Creepy... But hey. thanks for the invite!

(Sorry, we're a little past cleaning gutters)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I have lurked on these forums for a while and have seen plenty of unprovoked rude comments, but this one may take the cake.

Based on the title and original post, I felt like this was a quality person with a good head on their shoulders. My opinion of a poster has never gone so quickly from positive to negative in that short of a timespan. Honestly, don’t bring that chit east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
I have lurked on these forums for a while and have seen plenty of unprovoked rude comments, but this one may take the cake.
Then the complete lack of self-awareness ... "I don't see where anything I said could be condescending or rude ..." Ohreally?!?! Incredible.

·
Kowboy
2,516 Posts
Then the complete lack of self-awareness ... "I don't see where anything I said could be condescending or rude ..." Ohreally?!?! Incredible.
Please. Give me a goddamn break. I've had posts and comments that complied with the rules here deleted just because the mods didn't like them.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
Please. Give me a goddamn break. I've had posts and comments that complied with the rules here deleted just because the mods didn't like them.
I didn't say it wasn't rules compliant, or should be deleted. I just think that dude was pretty damn disrespectful, then tried to blow it off like "nah, I don't see where I was being a jerk".

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,945 Posts
EXACTLY how many posts of yours have been deleted over the many years you've been posting?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Wbailey offered to open up his home to basically a stranger and offered to show him the area …

That was a great offer and shows he is a stand up guy

I thought the response was pretty harsh

David
New guy comes in, gets treated like a respected member of the community.

Looks up WBailey’s info, sees “gutters,” and presumes gutter cleaning.

Presumes ulterior motives, or at the very least, decides on an insult at the expense of a stranger’s generosity.

Lame.

A direct apology to WBailey would be the only way to fix this, OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Damn right. YOU offered to have a beer and talk shop with me when I was planning the move to Chicago. In four years I never took you up on it but That ain’t the point.
Well the offer is still good!

lol

That’s been 4 years already? Damm time flys

David

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Well the offer is still good!

lol

That’s been 4 years already? Damm time flys

David
Actually 5 and 1/2 years.

I googled the phrase “how long ago was April 21, 2016” which was the date that I created that thread and strange enough it was exactly 2000 days ago. Now that’s Creepy

·
Registered
332 Posts
...I only know that most of the people I have worked for here have masters degrees and can't replace a faucet.
... I would be more hesitant if the community was racist though which the high level of college degrees suggest.
Leaving aside the gratuitous condescending remark, why do you feel someone with a Master's should to be able to replace a faucet? The logic escapes me.
And how exactly did you decide that highly educated communities are racist?

·
Artist and not a curator
14,578 Posts
Florida is full. You should move to Arizona, probably more your speed. Texas is full too. Bailey seems like a common person you'd meet in the north of the south. Very respectful and slower pace of life, welcoming of everyone and very gracious, with the "bless your little heart" type of attitude when you come across as an arrogant west coast prick. They will make sure you don't like it there though.

Florida will just feed you to anacondas...

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
Florida is full. You should move to Arizona, probably more your speed. Texas is full too. Bailey seems like a common person you'd meet in the north of the south. Very respectful and slower pace of life, welcoming of everyone and very gracious, with the "bless your little heart" type of attitude when you come across as an arrogant west coast prick. They will make sure you don't like it there though.

Florida will just feed you to anacondas...
Theres 30k burmese pythons in the glades that they know of, and 6 dna confirmed nile crocs last time I heard. Theres a native croc species, and plenty of gator too, I have a "pet gator" in the canals - I call him Frank.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are three licenses in Florida. A General Contractor can build anything. A Building Contractor can build anything up to 3 stories high and get a GC license after having a BC license for a year. A Remodeling Contractor can only work residential.
Nope
Residential Contractor can upgrade after 2 yrs to Building(with current passing test score of Building or General).

Building can upgrade after 2 yrs to General(with current passing General exam),
Test scores stay current for 4 yrs

this is how it was when I got my cgc 4 yrs ago. Literally Zero benefit to taking residential exam. Take gc and apply for crc, cbc or cgc.

cbc can work past 3 stories but cannot be structural.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Florida has hurricanes, tough licensing, warm weather and nice beaches. And lots of old people. NC has beaches, mountains, easy licensing, strong economy.
Well said plus all houses are block and you can reach the rainspout on your top toes. The heat and humidity is terrible. No one wants to work outside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The south is dirty, hot, cold, humid, racist, and poor. Literally nothing good about it.
I have lived in FL since 04. I see little to NO racism at all, I live in a "mixed neighborhood" and all is great here. I see a lot of scam artists and contractor's licenses of any kind seem to be a license to steal. Good contractors are actually hard to find here.
Weather? In Central Florida (Tampa area) we have three seasons. Spring, HOT, HOT and HUMID. While it may not get above 92 often, the heat index (humidity) can make you wish you were anywhere else.
If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen the Carolinas, or definitely Texas or even stayed in San Jose. Had I stayed in SJ my house would have earned me more than working for a living in FL.

I also have bad feelings about West Coast people coming to the south. IT seems that when they get here they tend to Vote as West Coast leftist idiots and fools. In other words YOU allowed California to become what it is, when you move you tend to VOTE the SAME and bring your problems with you. This destroyed Oregon and Washington States altogether. That means you will make EVERY PLACE YOU MOVE TO make the same problems as CA. Think hard before you destroy another state by being who you are and coming there. Calif does not work. I go back and there is NO CA any longer, it is as foreign as Hidalgo Mexico, or N. Korea, except there are no indigents ****ting and pissing in the stairwells of apartment buildings that charge 3800 a month for a 1 br in the foreign countries.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts