Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If you were considering my area, I’d make you the same offer.

@Xtrememtnbiker can tell you you’d be fed well and/or anything you need would be taken care of.….

@rblakes1 will probably tell you, you’d be sanding (or working on the Parade home) :D ……..

Tom
I must not have done well enough, I didn't get any cookies...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Kowboy
2,516 Posts
Is FLs licensing really worse than CA? And if so I hate to say it but might that be a good thing for me? Getting licensing in CA was a major PITA. Not quick, not easy, and definitely not cheap but it was definitely worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I'm spending my Sunday and yesterday the same way I spent them last weekend, sitting in an all-day CamTech class for the Florida plumbing licensing exam. Several thousand dollars in tuition, books, and fees, but you're not passing this test without exam training, I don't care how long you've been a plumber. Took several days off to do homework assignments and will take Monday too. Some guys left early yesterday; they are out of their minds.

I don't know what it's like in Cali, but it's a ***** here and I had a 3.63 GPA in college.

·
Registered
GC
1,087 Posts
I'm spending my Sunday and yesterday the same way I spent them last weekend, sitting in an all-day CamTech class for the Florida plumbing licensing exam. Several thousand dollars in tuition, books, and fees, but you're not passing this test without exam training, I don't care how long you've been a plumber. Took several days off to do homework assignments and will take Monday too. Some guys left early yesterday; they are out of their minds.

I don't know what it's like in Cali, but it's a * here and I had a 3.63 GPA in college.
Don't know how it is now, but it was pretty easy back in 85 when I took the California test. Didn't study for the trade portion at all. The legal portion of the test was tougher, but at that time there was a company that translated the law into understandable English, and sold it for $70. I read that then took the test.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Long story short, I'm considering a move outta Cali before things get any worse. Looking for better opportunities for my kids, more freedom, and a lower cost/higher quality of living. Florida and NC seem to be top of my considerations at the moment. I know it will be a huge transition for both me as a small business and the family but I feel it's better to do it now while we are still young.
ok? before things get worse? what is getting worse?
where ever you go there you are?
the south is booming I can see all the positives about the area, but a some point it will end up just like the place you left, traffic, people, taxes, competition in the work place

I'm ready to bail too, but I haven't, and when I do bail I can tell you contracting is the last thing I'm going to do when I finally move
sure things are worse today than yesterday where I live woke up with two inches of snow on the ground cloudy and it's almost 40 degrees by lunch time
they have been flying lift towers since 8am and the constant helicopter noise over my head is starting to get annoying

at the end of the day, my cost of living is cheap, the work is plentiful, and I'm surrounded by great people so why leave

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sorry, not sure why I came across as "snobbish" with that. I have family and friends in Orlando and Palm Beach areas of FL and wife has family and friends in Jackson NC and Treasure island. Not looking for a place to stay, got that covered. Just looking for advise on getting a new business established and licensed. I specialize in kitchen and bath remodeling so I would obviously want to stick with that. Not knocking anyone else's trades just saying I need to stick to what I know and where I have the skills to pay the bills

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

I don't know what it's like in Cali, but it's a * here and I had a 3.63 GPA in college.
I suppose it's all relative. I took classes to prep for my class B in CA and passed 1st try but probably wouldn't have without the prep. School took care of the paperwork for me which was worth every penny but the process still took over 6 months start to finish. Cost a couple grand to do school, get all the paperwork handled, background checks, bond, insurance, ect.

What is the equivalent of a class B or GC type of license out there? Or is there a "handyman" type of license that would cover me? From the research I've done so far it sounds like FL gets a bit more complicated with each area of the state having different requirements whereas in CA your covered for the whole state. I don't mind investing the time and money to get it all done but that's why I want to do it now before me and my kids get any older.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
ok? before things get worse? what is getting worse?
where ever you go there you are?
the south is booming I can see all the positives about the area, but a some point it will end up just like the place you left, traffic, people, taxes, competition in the work place

I'm ready to bail too, but I haven't, and when I do bail I can tell you contracting is the last thing I'm going to do when I finally move
sure things are worse today than yesterday where I live woke up with two inches of snow on the ground cloudy and it's almost 40 degrees by lunch time
they have been flying lift towers since 8am and the constant helicopter noise over my head is starting to get annoying

at the end of the day, my cost of living is cheap, the work is plentiful, and I'm surrounded by great people so why leave
CA isn't getting any more affordable any time soon and it feels like the dream of real home ownership is only getting further outta reach. I hoped the pandemic would at least cool off the market a bit but instead it just got even more expensive. Schools were shut down for over a year and still have so much pandemic BS that the kids have to deal with. And I just know there will be new vaccine mandates coming down the road. The epic failure of the recall election let me know that CA doesn't plan on changing its path anytime soon so I figure it's better to get out while I have some equity built up and try to get something elsewhere before that neighborhood gets too expensive. Plenty of other people seem to be doing the same so I just wanna try to get ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Kitch & Bath...that's why I mentioned edu level -- these are the folks that have disposable income. A boatload of technical jobs that pay well too - no coll req. Just a sharp mind and skillset.

Not too difficult to get a GC License -- none needed < 35K. Limited and Unlimited -- start about $20k dedicated or bond. Takes about 6-9 months -- $1k in books and fees. Bldg Insp -- nothing like the oppression up North.

·
Kowboy
2,516 Posts
Not too difficult to get a GC License -- none needed < 35K. Limited and Unlimited -- start about $20k dedicated or bond. Takes about 6-9 months -- $1k in books and fees. Bldg Insp -- nothing like the oppression up North.
What state are you talking about please?

·
Kowboy
2,516 Posts
What is the equivalent of a class B or GC type of license out there? Or is there a "handyman" type of license that would cover me? From the research I've done so far it sounds like FL gets a bit more complicated with each area of the state having different requirements whereas in CA your covered for the whole state.
There are three licenses in Florida. A General Contractor can build anything. A Building Contractor can build anything up to 3 stories high and get a GC license after having a BC license for a year. A Remodeling Contractor can only work residential. There is no such thing as a handyman license in Florida. These licenses cover the whole state, although counties can still require licensing.

They run unlicensed contractor stings down here regularly. The cops get a vacant house, put an ad on Craigslist, and just like catching the predators, they video guys making proposals on work for which they have no license. Then they bust 'em for worker's comp fraud for not having an exemption.

I just made a formal complaint with the state against an unlicensed "competitor". His ads quickly disappeared. If I'm paying to play by the rules, I'm damn sure making sure you are too. Unapologetically. The undercover cops aren't your only worry; a licensed second bidder is.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
There are three licenses in Florida. A General Contractor can build anything. A Building Contractor can build anything up to 3 stories high and get a GC license after having a BC license for a year. A Remodeling Contractor can only work residential. There is no such thing as a handyman license in Florida. These licenses cover the whole state, although counties can still require licensing.

They run unlicensed contractor stings down here regularly. The cops get a vacant house, put an ad on Craigslist, and just like catching the predators, they video guys making proposals on work for which they have no license. Then they bust 'em for worker's comp fraud for not having an exemption.

I just made a formal complaint with the state against an unlicensed "competitor". His ads quickly disappeared. If I'm paying to play by the rules, I'm damn sure making sure you are too. Unapologetically. The undercover cops aren't your only worry; a licensed second bidder is.
Good to know. Sounds like I might be able to just start with a remodeling license then go from there. I'm not interested in building from the ground up. Would rather just focus on remodels. What's the process and time frame to get a remodeling license?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry, not sure why I came across as "snobbish" with that. I have family and friends in Orlando and Palm Beach areas of FL and wife has family and friends in Jackson NC and Treasure island. Not looking for a place to stay, got that covered. Just looking for advise on getting a new business established and licensed. I specialize in kitchen and bath remodeling so I would obviously want to stick with that. Not knocking anyone else's trades just saying I need to stick to what I know and where I have the skills to pay the bills

Creepy... But hey. thanks for the invite!

(Sorry, we're a little past cleaning gutters)

Really? You could have said you had family/friends in the area and graciously declined the generous offer instead of insulting him.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Really? You could have said you had family/friends in the area and graciously declined the generous offer instead of insulting him.
Yes I agree

Wbailey offered to open up his home to basically a stranger and offered to show him the area

When I worked at the airline people would do that all the time to fellow airline crew members and I have had some fantastic experiences from it

That was a great offer and shows he is a stand up guy

I thought the response was pretty harsh

David

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Yes I agree

Wbailey offered to open up his home to basically a stranger and offered to show him the area

When I worked at the airline people would do that all the time to fellow airline crew members and I have had some fantastic experiences from it

That was a great offer and shows he is a stand up guy

I thought the response was pretty harsh

David
Damn right. YOU offered to have a beer and talk shop with me when I was planning the move to Chicago. In four years I never took you up on it but That ain’t the point.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts