Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I'm considering a move outta Cali before things get any worse. Looking for better opportunities for my kids, more freedom, and a lower cost/higher quality of living. Florida and NC seem to be top of my considerations at the moment. I know it will be a huge transition for both me as a small business and the family but I feel it's better to do it now while we are still young.

Looking for advise/guidance on how to make this transition as smooth as possible. I'm class B general in CA but obviously that doesn't mean much in those states. If need be I just go back to being an employee until I can get established, licensed ect. I have 20 years experience in the trades so I don't think I will have a tough time finding work as much as I will establishing new connections and such. Anybody familiar with these areas please chime in and let me know where the work is, what to prepare for, ect. Obviously, the pay might not be as high and the code books and clientele will be a bit different but what steps can you recommend to get me to same place for myself as a contractor there as I am now in CA.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm in Greensboro, NC. A good move for me from DC 20 years ago. Housing costs are $125 ft vs $400 ft in Metro DC. People are extraordinarily nice...Built up pretty well and biz is good. Good schools public and private in northern area's.

Charlotte and Raleigh outpace us in most all areas. Especially education level. About 27% with degrees here. Charlotte -- higher, and Raleigh closer to 40%.

That said I would suggest Raleigh, NC for its educational level, which translates into quality jobs of all types. Int'l airport, quality of life. Three hours to the beach or mountains. Raleigh has been booming for years and will continue to do so as Apple is building a campus there -- avg salary $170k at Apple. Research Triangle, IBM, Bayer, Red Hat, Duke Univ, Chapel Hill --- an hour away. Lots of quality const. jobs resi and comm. Lots of illegals, but doesn't seem to be hurting as much as in years past.

Good luck with your move.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Florida has hurricanes, tough licensing, warm weather and nice beaches. And lots of old people. NC has beaches, mountains, easy licensing, strong economy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Greensboro, NC. A good move for me from DC 20 years ago. Housing costs are $125 ft vs $400 ft in Metro DC. People are extraordinarily nice...Built up pretty well and biz is good. Good schools public and private in northern area's.

Charlotte and Raleigh outpace us in most all areas. Especially education level. About 27% with degrees here. Charlotte -- higher, and Raleigh closer to 40%.

That said I would suggest Raleigh, NC for its educational level, which translates into quality jobs of all types. Int'l airport, quality of life. Three hours to the beach or mountains. Raleigh has been booming for years and will continue to do so as Apple is building a campus there -- avg salary $170k at Apple. Research Triangle, IBM, Bayer, Red Hat, Duke Univ, Chapel Hill --- an hour away. Lots of quality const. jobs resi and comm. Lots of illegals, but doesn't seem to be hurting as much as in years past.

Good luck with your move.
I know regardless that the housing cost will be at least a 3rd of what it is in San Diego. Single family detached homes basically start at half a million for a 2 BR 1 bath in a bad school district with homeless on your front porch and no parking.

I don't really care about the education level of the community. I only know that most of the people I have worked for here have masters degrees and can't replace a faucet. As far as illegals are concerned I doubt it is what it is in my neighborhood. I've been able to see Mexico out my window for the last 20 years. I would be more hesitant if the community was racist though which the high level of college degrees suggest. Wife is immigrant, kids are dual citizens.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Florida has hurricanes, tough licensing, warm weather and nice beaches. And lots of old people. NC has beaches, mountains, easy licensing, strong economy.
Wife is scared of hurricanes, I'm just looking for nice weather and water. Is FLs licensing really worse than CA? And if so I hate to say it but might that be a good thing for me? Getting licensing in CA was a major PITA. Not quick, not easy, and definitely not cheap but it was definitely worth it in the end. I actually grew up in NJ where the tradition was to get a retirement watch Friday night, a moving van Saturday morning and a property in FL on Sunday. I guess I'm just trying to compress the process.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I’m in Wake Forest, 10 minutes from Raleigh. We have 3 spare bedrooms, fly out and we will show you around. I’ll pm you my number.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m in Wake Forest, 10 minutes from Raleigh. We have 3 spare bedrooms, fly out and we will show you around. I’ll pm you my number.
Creepy... But hey. thanks for the invite!

(Sorry, we're a little past cleaning gutters)

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
Florida is tough on licensing, but it doesn't sound like you'd have any issues. Some differences in code for hurricane, but you could probably cram that in your head and take the test. Pretty sure you having a license in Cali for a period of time would qualify you to take the test and pay the fees to get a license. Lots of economic opportunity here, but lots of building regulations. Joke is you need a permit to wipe your own rear end.

That said - my cousin moved to Charlotte. Plenty of economic opportunity there too, with less overall government intrusion. No income tax in FL, but property taxes are pretty stout. Property has also been going bonkers here so its costly to buy or rent. I like it here overall, but I'm looking at east TN for a reason.

·
Registered
13,528 Posts

If you were considering my area, I’d make you the same offer.

@Xtrememtnbiker can tell you you’d be fed well and/or anything you need would be taken care of.….

@rblakes1 will probably tell you, you’d be sanding (or working on the Parade home) :D ……..

Tom

·
Registered
536 Posts
Might want to consider that you will be coming from one of the most mild weather spots in the US into high humidity/ high heat index areas. It’s all individual but some can handle humidity and some will melt into the asphalt. I interviewed for a job in San Diego and still remember that the company had a outdoor cafeteria.
My brother has the same family make up as you and they chose to go the private school route when moving to Virginia from the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Remodel
31,613 Posts

Wake Forest is right there in the money zone. I wouldn't blow him off.

You worry about racism with the college education levels. The research triangle area is a bunch of tech companies, and tech generally has a very diverse work force.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

Another arrogant ass GC.
Another no manners having west coaster moving south. Not sure which annoys me more.

No idea where you got the cleaning gutters idea from. We don’t clean gutters. I sold that company after making a chit load of money.

The offer wasn't for a job. If you think my offer is creepy maybe rethink the south altogether. Moron.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Since both of those places are destinations for people getting out of NJ in a few short years they will be just like California

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
I think that's called "looking a gift horse in the mouth".
Wow.
The gutters comment - I missed that one at first. "Wow" doesn't even begin to touch on the level of condescending elitist snobbery that oozes.

I'm done with southern hospitality. It's time the welcome wagon shutters its doors down here I guess. Change the southern mantra to "Stay home, nobody wants you here".

1 - 20 of 66 Posts