Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7x12 tandem axle trailer, and am considering upsizing to an 8x20. I use it to not only transport tools but also cabinets, counter tops, trim if it is raining, doors, and other job materials. The 12' is limiting on interior space, but I am not sure a 20' would be the right choice due to the length. I have thought about going with a 16', but the chance has come along to possibly swap mine for the 20' trailer.

Does anybody have a 20' trailer, and have you found it tough to get in some places? I do have a hitch on the front of my truck so that I can maneuver my dump trailer in tight to where I need it, so I could do the same with the 20' trailer as well.

Any pros/cons from anyone that has gone with a large trailer. The major thing I am thinking about is, I know that I can fit my tools in there as well as a kitchen worth of cabinets. But that is really the biggest pro I can think of.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Stephen

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
I went with a 16 after a friend of mine got a 20. We both think anything over 16 maybe 18 is to big to fit in rural winding roads not to mention manuevering in suburban areas. I would definitely not go any larger than 18. But 8'x16 is large enough in my opinion.

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
I went from a 14' to a 8x20' this year. Most of my work is in a small old town. I almost never have a drive way I can fit in but, pulled up on the side of the street, or even off an alley it works good.

8' is hard to see around sometimes, I also have a hitch on the front of my truck and have yet to have the need to use it to get my trailer in/out. My Suburban has a pretty small turning radius.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Could someone post a picture of one of these front hitches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patrick,
Here is a site where they have a picture.
sorry, I can't post urls until I have made 15 posts. Just do a google search for front mount trailer hitch.

Warnerconstinc, thanks for that. Sort of something I was wondering. A lot of the time, the street is far enough away it is more of a chore. Most of the time, I use the front hitch to get the boat into it's tight parking I made for it.

Xanadooltd, thanks, I was looking at the 16' trailers, but had the chance to possibly trade mine for the 20', sort of why I was considering a 20. If I were to be buying I wouldn't go for a 20

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
do they make on that will go into my plow hook up?

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Scooter
304 Posts
8x24 trailer here. Rarely have problems getting in where I need to. If I see an issue while I'm out on the estimate I just make sure I bring the van instead. The 24 foot has been awesome. Up here in the winter we can get down to 50 below in temp. It is really nice to have the mobile shop on hand and heated :thumbup:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
A friend of mine tows a 24'er and he has mentioned some problems getting it in tight spots but he has put it everywhere i put my 14' v-nose. He does have to be careful of the tail hitting when coming off a hill.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I went from a 14' to a 20' trailer. It is great except on the bottom of steep hills or driveways. I drag the back end alot.
Jeff
Wish I had pictures but we welded wheels on the back of my friends 20' trailer. Bought a big floor jack at HF and used the large front wheels. IT works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I decided against it for right now. The ideal would be a 16' trailer, I will wait until I can get one that I want instead of going with something I am not sure about.

Thanks again. Stephen

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ive always been told to buy the biggest and best you can afford, and you will grow into it.

I have a 12' utility trailer open, a 16' equipment trailer open, and we borrow a 16' enclosed from our finisher to transport cabinets.

In the future, we are going to invest in our own enclosed trailer because its certainly more convenient, we have had to rent a 26' ryder truck numerous times in the past when we have big deliveries. Renting it to transport out to finish, again to transport back to the shop, then eventually again to get to the job, it gets expensive.

Id like to go with a 20' but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I just went from a 6x12 to a 7x14.

Should have gone to 7x16 so I could pick up 16' lumber. I was worried about the trailer being too large for HO driveways.

So far the extra 2 feet would not have been a concern.

So now I'll have to wait about 5 years before upgrading again. :furious:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts