Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days ago, i signed with Yodle after much due diligence (contacted 15 active users). I needed to try PPC and not many comapnies were willing to show how they measure their ad placement campaigns. Three days into the campaign, I converted my first lead today... This took me by surprise as it takes a minimum of 45 to 60 days to test and tweak the computed keywords for your trade.

The lead already paid for the entire monthly expense. I look forward to seeing how the program yields in ROI.

Jack
www.superiorhomesolutions.net
www.superhomeinspections.net

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Three days ago, i signed with Yodle after much due diligence (contacted 15 active users). I needed to try PPC and not many comapnies were willing to show how they measure their ad placement campaigns. Three days into the campaign, I converted my first lead today... This took me by surprise as it takes a minimum of 45 to 60 days to test and tweak the computed keywords for your trade.

The lead already paid for the entire monthly expense. I look forward to seeing how the program yields in ROI.

Jack

Who am I to say anything about an adwords type of thing, but you cant goto google trends and see what general contracting term get the most action then just add geo modifiers to it?

Were not splitting the atom, people need chimney repairs in their town or house painting in their town right?

What is this "days for stuff to compute" you speak of? A proprietary program? lulz.

It sometimes takes 500 or more to run keyword combos and to a/b test pages.

But this is like the 3rd or 4th time you are pimping a service that has 2 whole pages of rip off reports or whatnot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who am I to say anything about an adwords type of thing, but you cant goto google trends and see what general contracting term get the most action then just add geo modifiers to it?

Were not splitting the atom, people need chimney repairs in their town or house painting in their town right?

What is this "days for stuff to compute" you speak of? A proprietary program? lulz.

It sometimes takes 500 or more to run keyword combos and to a/b test pages.

But this is like the 3rd or 4th time you are pimping a service that has 2 whole pages of rip off reports or whatnot.
Not pimping anything, JBM boy! Stop your immature rant and provide a meaningful discussion. Look son, I'm an evidence-based person...I look for result! If a system yields measurable results and generate profits, I'm going to discuss and share it, whether you like or not. Until proven otherwise, Yodle has worked for me and many other people across multiple industries.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
You want a meaningful discussion, I remember seeing your site in my facebook feed and loved it! I wanted to save it because of the good use of orange and greys, but I couldnt find it!!

How small is the world lol.

Anyhow, why did you choose yodle who has hundreds of complaints and not use Footbridge to handle your ppc?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You want a meaningful discussion, I remember seeing your site in my facebook feed and loved it! I wanted to save it because of the good use of orange and greys, but I couldnt find it!!

How small is the world lol.

Anyhow, why did you choose yodle who has hundreds of complaints and not use Footbridge to handle your ppc?
JBM, I'd be glad to answer your questions:

1. I opted against Footbridge's PPC because of several reasons: first, I kept pressing Aaron and Ryan to provide me some sort of dashboard that would measure their PPc progress, but to no avail. I simply wanted to understand what keywords they were using to create their landing pages. They kept saying , "just pick a monthly budget and let us worry about generating leads". I'm sorry, but I have to see where the leads are coming from... I want to see which landing page is getting clicks and which ones are underperforming. I NEED TRANSPARANCY!!!!!!!

Aside from their SEO/PPC efforts, I must say that they still produce the best looking custom websites. I have to credit them with that! All my colleagues said they have never seen anything like it. Even my PPC manager at Yodle was veery impressed. But, what good is a website if it's not exposed and seen?

2. I chose Yodle because I was convinced of the feedback from their active members. I went to Sitejabber.com which ranks websites and carries public reviews. 370 reviews were posted for Yodle. They have a score of 3.6 out of 5.0 which is far better than other large companies. I contacted 15 of those reviewers by searhing their websites... I spoke with contractors, dentists, therapists, HVAC guys, plumbers, inspectors, and weight loss management clinics. They all reported a profitable ROI. Moreover, They all shared the same expectations when they joined. They were all told that it will take Yodle 45 to 60 days to fine tune the key words that most convert into sales for their particular industry.

The above all made sense to me to try. So, i signed with them on the 14th of January with a low monthly budget of 200/month. On January 16, I received my first lead that converted into a sale. It was residential home inspection for 375.00. On January 19, I recieved two calls/lead... I converted another into a sale for a Mold inspection (220.00). Those two leads have already paid for my expense for January. My profit thus far is 395.00 and I still have 25 days of possible profitability before my next monthly dues.

This has far exceeded my expectations... I was only expecting to generate leads after 45 days. Looking at my dashboard, the two leads that converted into a sale came from one of the 8 ad campaigns. It tells specifically which ad campaign it is. Therefore, the others that underperform will probably be revised or completely eliminated. This data is measurable and i can relate to it and understand it.

Now, as to the negative reviews/complaints on Yodle, I called 7 of them. Of the 7, 3 agreed to speak and tell me why. Those three did not provide me anything specific. I asked them was it a lack of profitable ROI? Was it lack of leads? They said it was just a misleading business model... Lack of specificity makes me wonder about their own poor business model. Before blaming someone else, they need to accept constructive criticism and start to identify the reasons why Yodle failed them.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Every internet marketing company has their haters, an usually for good reason. It's hard to make everyone happy in the marketing world.

Will you share your monthly ad spend with us? This is a frequent topic on here and I'm sure it would be helpful to others.

As far as the 45-60 for "testing and tweaking" goes, it's pretty common. You need to have a bit of aging on your campaigns for them to settle down and land at the real quality scores and to find the proper negative keywords and weed out the poor performers. That doesn't mean that your ads are useless until that has happened, it just means that you aren't paying the optimal amount per click so you tend to see an increase in ROI over the first couple months as that is sorted out. Considering how seasonal construction is, you probably won't even be able to figure out what the exact increase is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your experience. Every internet marketing company has their haters, an usually for good reason. It's hard to make everyone happy in the marketing world.

Will you share your monthly ad spend with us? This is a frequent topic on here and I'm sure it would be helpful to others.

As far as the 45-60 for "testing and tweaking" goes, it's pretty common. You need to have a bit of aging on your campaigns for them to settle down and land at the real quality scores and to find the proper negative keywords and weed out the poor performers. That doesn't mean that your ads are useless until that has happened, it just means that you aren't paying the optimal amount per click so you tend to see an increase in ROI over the first couple months as that is sorted out. Considering how seasonal construction is, you probably won't even be able to figure out what the exact increase is.
Ethan, My monthly budget with them is 200.00. I contacted my account manager to increase it to 600.00, sine i converted two leads and already paid for my expense. However, she recommended that I increase after 45 days.

I will update this board on my experience/success with Yodle.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Thanks for the clarifications. I would like to be aware of what KW;s would not be clicked on, more then what KW's would be clicked on.

Bumping up to 600 a month is approaching a decent amount of money. Would you not be able to funnel that into SEO and show up organically for your keywords? Then you own it.

Your monthly ad spend should not just pay for iteself. What % of revenue generated will you classify as a success?

( i have no idea what these numbers should be, smaller the better right :) )

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the clarifications. I would like to be aware of what KW;s would not be clicked on, more then what KW's would be clicked on.

Bumping up to 600 a month is approaching a decent amount of money. Would you not be able to funnel that into SEO and show up organically for your keywords? Then you own it.

Your monthly ad spend should not just pay for iteself. What % of revenue generated will you classify as a success?

( i have no idea what these numbers should be, smaller the better right :) )
I tried SEO with 3 seperate companies: Footbridge media (still with them), PRO, and a friend. My site did acheive ranking but not to the first page. Then, after an aggressive SEO optimization, Google penalized me. I was fortunate enough to have the domain back. All in all, it appears that SEO was going to be a longterm campaign. Google likes websites that have aged gracefully and they like websites who optimize moderately. With all the the algorithm and ugdate changes that Google spits out, I feel that I may never acheive a high ranking organically. Therefore, with PPC, I don't have to worry about campaigning aggressively. In fact, the more aggressice I get, the more Google makes. Google is trying to push everyone into paid advertisement by punishing those who optimize aggressively.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Then, after an agressive SEO optimization, Google penalized me. I was fortunate enough to have the demain back. All in all, it appears that SEO was going to be a longterm campaign. Google likes websites that have aged gracefully and they like websites who optimize moderately.
Did you loose rankings on all your KW's or just a couple main ones? Did the site get removed from the serps?

There is a huge diff. between a devaluation and a penalty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you loose rankings on all your KW's or just a couple main ones? Did the site get removed from the serps?

There is a huge diff. between a devaluation and a penalty.
The site was not showing on any google pages. I guess a total removal from all serps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts