Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was helping a friend of a friend with a rocking and rolling toilet.

I had a couple of wax rings and a set of bolts ready to go. The plan was to remove the toilet and see what was going on.

Congratulations are due to me because I convinced this woman to put the two wax rings under her shirt in order to warm them up as I was removing the toilet and cleaning up the flange.

The flange was on top of the tile and about 1/2" proud. With a dry fit, there was plenty of rock and roll in all directions.

I have always installed my flanges so that they ended up being flush with the finished floor.

I came back and did some research and almost everywhere I looked, it is recommended to install the closet flange ON TOP of the finished floor. I figure I can always raise the flange with a thicker wax ring, an additional wax ring, or a pvc spacer, but to LOWER the flange will be an ordeal.

Do you guys really install your flanges on top of the tile or other finished floor? This was a sterling toilet. Maybe some brands work better over a high flange than others.

I tried to get her to let me take a picture of the wax rings in the boxes under her shirt, but she wouldn't let me. The one I ended up using was nice and toasty.:clap:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Today I was helping a friend of a friend with a rocking and rolling toilet.

I had a couple of wax rings and a set of bolts ready to go. The plan was to remove the toilet and see what was going on.

Congratulations are due to me because I convinced this woman to put the two wax rings under her shirt in order to warm them up as I was removing the toilet and cleaning up the flange.

The flange was on top of the tile and about 1/2" proud. With a dry fit, there was plenty of rock and roll in all directions.

I have always installed my flanges so that they ended up being flush with the finished floor.

I came back and did some research and almost everywhere I looked, it is recommended to install the closet flange ON TOP of the finished floor. I figure I can always raise the flange with a thicker wax ring, an additional wax ring, or a pvc spacer, but to LOWER the flange will be an ordeal.

Do you guys really install your flanges on top of the tile or other finished floor? This was a sterling toilet. Maybe some brands work better over a high flange than others.

I tried to get her to let me take a picture of the wax rings in the boxes under her shirt, but she wouldn't let me. The one I ended up using was nice and toasty.:clap:
I immediately thought they were out of the boxes and were being warmed up by well you the the picture.....:whistling:laughing:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I immediately thought they were out of the boxes and were being warmed up by well you the the picture.....:whistling:laughing:
This is what they make those beeswax rings for, with just a bit of honey left on them.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This would make an excellent challenge. Top prize of a free drink with Griz to the first guy who can convince a woman to warm up two wax rings around her breasts. No photo necessary, just a detailed explanation of how he got the job done.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I have zero to no chance of getting my old lady to do it, I would assume my chances would be even slimmer with a stranger.;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I always liked the flange flush with the finished floor, but this summer I became convinced that it should rest right on top of the floor. Honestly I think it would be best if the flange was a little thinner, so it was only maybe 3/16" proud of the floor, but with the PVC flanges I've been using it's more like 5/16".

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
per every manufacturer's specs I've seen the closet flange should sit on top of the finished floor. and all you need is a thin wax ring. unfortunately, its not always the case. and we end up using the jumbo rings. don't want too thick of a wax because when it collapses it will restrict the size of the opening.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I always install closet flanges on the final trim out on a job, so yes they sit on top of the finished floor.

And I don't use wax rings, ever.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll install the freaking ring so that it sticks up 4" if you can find me a toilet that will sit on it.

With the aforementioned flange, I could have spun the toilet around in circles without it touching the floor anywhere. Adding a wax ring just raises it up further.

This was on a basement floor on a slab of course.

Is there a tool available that will cut off the flange from the inside of the pipe/flange? Then I'd have to get a new flange which would fit into the 3" pipe, plus remove the tile to let the new flange down a bit.

Or, find a toilet which is friendly with a flange sticking up 1/2".

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have zero to no chance of getting my old lady to do it, I would assume my chances would be even slimmer with a stranger.;)
You just have to look at them with a straight face and tell them that the wax needs to be warmed up so it will flow properly, then tell them the boxes are clean and they just need to slip them under their shirt. Now turn away quickly and start working on something. It's as simple as that.:clap:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
You just have to look at them with a straight face and tell them that the wax needs to be warmed up so it will flow properly, then tell them the boxes are clean and they just need to slip them under their shirt. Now turn away quickly and start working on something. It's as simple as that.:clap:

Yea, but get them OUT of the box and wrapped around something....

Then check to make sure they are warm enough...:whistling:laughing:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'll install the freaking ring so that it sticks up 4" if you can find me a toilet that will sit on it.

With the aforementioned flange, I could have spun the toilet around in circles without it touching the floor anywhere. Adding a wax ring just raises it up further.

Is there a tool available that will cut off the flange from the inside of the pipe/flange? Then I'd have to get a new flange which would fit into the 3" pipe, plus remove the tile to let the new flange down a bit.

3" inside glued flange---should have guessed----never use one of those.they cause this problem.

There is a cutter that fits into a drill and allows you to cut out the fitting without damaging the pipe---the name escapes me--but you will find them in every plumbing supply house---

Ram bit--I believe that is the name---

·
Registered
13,485 Posts

Socket savers;

http://www.amazon.com/Jones-Stephens-J44-150-Socket-Saver/dp/B000HE9YS8

On finished floor.

Tom

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
thats not the cutter Tom, that one is used after the fitting or pipe is removed. So the fitting can be reused. The inside cutter is just a shaft with a small cutting wheel on it no guide. I am sure you have seen them.

My plumber will not use a 3" flange unless it is absolutely the last resort. One of the few times he did, customer wanted to use Toto vespin toilet with insert into flange. No dice, at the time they were 4" only not sure now.

In the past I have made 3/4" Corian plates for my plumber on certain jobs where the toilet sat on the plate. It worked. That was when I had a supply of 3/4" material

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
thats not the cutter Tom, that one is used after the fitting or pipe is removed. So the fitting can be reused. The inside cutter is just a shaft with a small cutting wheel on it no guide. I am sure you have seen them.

My plumber will not use a 3" flange unless it is absolutely the last resort. One of the few times he did, customer wanted to use Toto vespin toilet with insert into flange. No dice, at the time they were 4" only not sure now.

In the past I have made 3/4" Corian plates for my plumber on certain jobs where the toilet sat on the plate. It worked. That was when I had a supply of 3/4" material
You're referring to these;

http://www.insidecutter.com

I have used the socket saver to remove fitting. In the case of this 3 or 4" flange, I would use the proper size and just keep cutting until the cutter is beyond the depth of the hub. Last week I had to do it on a sewer pipe that ran through an 8" block wall. Machined down the entire length, lost of PVC shavings by the time I was done.

Tom

·
Registered
818 Posts
He is referring to this actually, it removes the fitting from the pipe, saving the pipe.

The insider tool just cuts the pipe, from the inside.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts