Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1200 sq. Foot deck it has 3 diffrent tears, two big planters, 2 benches, all timber tech material,wrap around steps arounf 75% of deck , rest of side of decking to be coverd with timbertech material,18x29 pergola over main deck,about 30ft of handrail,deck is approx. 3ft of ground ,a lot of angles in deck design,also decking board will have boarder around perimeter of deck. I have done alot of decks in my life time but not alot of bidding on these jobs. I worked for a builder for past 8 years and got layed off,so this bidding thing is all new to me. I have almost $25,000 in material between the cedar for the pergola and the timbertech material, i bid the job at $40,000 your help and comments would be greatly apreciated.i need the job but not sure if im cutting my bid close.

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
First off welcome & now a few words from our sponsors... you really should post an intro, & put your location in your profile. The best starting point for pricing advice is here - http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pricing-estimating-success-27899/

FYI - IMO your price seems low, but I don't know what your OH is, Profit goals are, or how fast you (& your crew?) work

·
Pro
670 Posts
You might try posting an introduction first and telling everyone something about yourself and where you are from. If you already bid the job what difference does it make what we think? If you find out, or are told, you are too low then you need to man up and do the same (high quality) job as if you were going to make good money on it. Don't start looking for ways to cut corners. Take it as a lesson learned and move on. Having worked for a builder for that long you should have an idea how long something like this will take and you already have the material cost, the rest is easy.

Bill

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Aw Hell Jeremie,,jump in there with the 40 grand sounds like a good deal for a green young man. You will be sure to learn a few things.

Like we all have. JonMon

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new here as well, so welcome, this seems like a big job, first and fore most check with the building dept, get the current codes, the codes may alter your price completely, then make sure you don't need any permits, yeah sometimes the homeowner will pull them, and sometimes not so add that too your cost next do you need a home improvement license and what kind of insurance do you have, once all the legal stuff is done then move on to the job, take the time out and really figure your material and the cost of the material, ie 4x4 post concrete for setting post, decking, and any thing else yo need for the job, now once you figured that out, dont forget to add 20% more for mistakes cuts etc, so you should wind up with around 1400 square feet. Now you can just double your material cost, or you can do the math, what do you need to make on this job to cover your over head for doing this job, employees, fuel for truck, etc. Now if your by your self on this one then just come up with a number that would satisfy you, BUT don't low ball other company's call around see what people are getting for decks of this type, I did a deck back in the winter, don't remember the footage but it wasn't big guts a square deck and it came out to $16000 with about $6000 or so in material again I don't remember the exact numbers. Good luck

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm new here as well, so welcome, this seems like a big job, first and fore most check with the building dept, get the current codes, the codes may alter your price completely, then make sure you don't need any permits, yeah sometimes the homeowner will pull them, and sometimes not so add that too your cost next do you need a home improvement license and what kind of insurance do you have, once all the legal stuff is done then move on to the job, take the time out and really figure your material and the cost of the material, ie 4x4 post concrete for setting post, decking, and any thing else yo need for the job, now once you figured that out, dont forget to add 20% more for mistakes cuts etc, so you should wind up with around 1400 square feet. Now you can just double your material cost, or you can do the math, what do you need to make on this job to cover your over head for doing this job, employees, fuel for truck, etc. Now if your by your self on this one then just come up with a number that would satisfy you, BUT don't low ball other company's call around see what people are getting for decks of this type, I did a deck back in the winter, don't remember the footage but it wasn't big guts a square deck and it came out to $16000 with about $6000 or so in material again I don't remember the exact numbers. Good luck

Oh come on let him learn like the rest of us. I was half into my first job when the homeowner coughed up the fact that I was the low bid and of those other money grubbing contractors, well the next lowest was 30% more :eek:

I worked two months for free and got some terrific referrals :no: as I had oficially earned the rep as bargain basement.

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
Your material cost is way to high in comparison with the bid. At 62% for material you going to feel it at the end of the job. I'm getting nervous if it gets over 40%. We all did plenty of decks for free in the past, just trying to tell you to be careful and recalculate the bid.
You don't have to retire from this job but after all cost including overhead, your salary, transportation etc. you should be a happy boy leaving with 10-15% net. Right now you only have 33% to play with.
After working for 8 years with your old boss you should have a good guess how long it will take to do this job. Calculate 75% as the truth time you spend on the job but charge 100%.
A job always takes longer than you estimate. So if you think it can be done in 3 weeks than count for 4 weeks.
My dad always told me when I was younger that it is better to stay home and make no money, than work your ass off and loose money.
Did that and done that after ignoring my dad.

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
Just a quick comparison.
In my area (DC) this project would run around $ 57,000 based on TimberTech decking and basic vinyl railing not counting the pergola.
It might be lower (or higher) in your area.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
There is a well known builder around my area that advertises a lot for custom and/or composite decks at $60.00 per square foot (including material and install).

In your case that would be $72,000.00.

Not sure what his decks look like, if his pricing is firm, etc, but know that he sure advertises the heck out of that price point.

Just my two cents - I think you are low and he is high.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
If you are making 15gs
after drawings and permit is done then that's ok

but with that price it's obvious you don't pay taxes, insurance, ect ect or that 15 will boil down to less than 10....... And 25Gs material for 1200 sqft is to high, my cost in Canadian is $20,000 so down there should be closer to $17,000

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Simple equation: $material cost +labour cost + overhead cost = X.
X is the total COGS (cost of goods sold). On top of that there should be a markup. So, X + ?%=sale price.
Overhead should consist of rent, office expenses, insurance, truck and tools, etc. Take all that and divide out on a yearly basis to arrive at a daily cost of overhead. Then use that times the number of days the job will take. Add all this togehter and multiply by your markup (anywhere from 10-50%) and that is your sale price.
I think at $40,000 you are way low.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If you are making 15gs
after drawings and permit is done then that's ok

but with that price it's obvious you don't pay taxes, insurance, ect ect or that 15 will boil down to less than 10....... And 25Gs material for 1200 sqft is to high, my cost in Canadian is $20,000 so down there should be closer to $17,000
Don't know how you could quote material pricing if you don't know how he planned to buuild it and any of the amenities. Material for this one was 30G. I think he could do it for 40, but won't be doing much more than making a living

http://www.contractortalk.com/f50/slow-decks-fencing-62278/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts