Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm an unashamed tool nut.

But, out of desperation, I picked up a Campbell Hausfeld NS219099 Framing Nailer.

I needed a framer, couldn't find the newest Hitachi back then that was supposed to be better than their 83/90 Series and almost $200. cheaper, so I picked this one up.

I just couldn't past it up.
It was on clearance at Home Depot.
They knocked it down to $69. + another 10% off!
That's $63. for a round head framing gun.

I thought if it lasted me just this one job, that'd be enough and I could order the new Hitachi NR90AF.

So, I abused the heck out of that CF nailer! :laughing:

BUT, it refused to die. I nailed into 80 year old stucco, concrete, petrified wood and it kept going. I was amazed. It did what it was called upon to do. It became my "nothing to lose" nailer and I admit that I did experiment with it on more than one occasion. While it's not something I'd use for serious production work, it worked fine for me on small jobs.

Doesn't mean I'm "not" going to buy the Hitachi (found it locally for only $199.
).

So, fess up...how many of you have dabbled in the "cheap" zone and gotten this gun?
I know some of you did. How's it holding up?

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
$63? that's about what I paid for my Hitachi NR-90ac. I suppose there were also a few dollars in shipping though. The only problem that I can find is that it is one heavy beast. If I keep doing more panel jobs I might go looking for a lightweight nailer, since all I'd be using it for is 8's.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Haven't gone the cheap route with any nailers. But do have a few chinese clones of Honda engines and water pumps. And they are holding up well, I figure that if they do break its not a big loss since they are less than a third of the price of a Honda.

But does that nailer really weigh 16 lbs?

Thats twice the weight of any of my Bostich or Max guns.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have one,

I use it when working in adverse conditions.

(dirt, rain, etc)

has worked flawlessly for probably 5-6 boxes . 18'000 shots.

It won't replace my paslode, but for a beater gun it is well worth the price

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The next roof will be it's 7th.
Every roof I have done in the last 20 years was supposed to be my last.:laughing:

Oh wait, that didn't fit here did it? Never mind:whistling

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Every roof I have done in the last 20 years was supposed to be my last.:laughing:

Oh wait, that didn't fit here did it? Never mind:whistling
Same here, unfortunately, being that roofing was the first thing I did in construction, I make too much money doing it to not do it.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
$63? that's about what I paid for my Hitachi NR-90ac. I suppose there were also a few dollars in shipping though. The only problem that I can find is that it is one heavy beast. If I keep doing more panel jobs I might go looking for a lightweight nailer, since all I'd be using it for is 8's.
You paid $63. and you still found something to gripe about?

I paid $63. (no shipping) and I have ZERO complaints!

:clap:

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
You paid $63. and you still found something to gripe about?

I paid $63. (no shipping) and I have ZERO complaints!

:clap:
Trust me, I know I got one heck of a deal. That gun when new cost $400. I'm just thinking that it might be worth it to pick up a second gun for when I don't need the massive power that thing has got.

·
Registered
199 Posts
yuck, I got a HF central pneumatic 7-n-1 nailer that is pure crap, not worth giving away. Sounds like the CF for ~60 new is ok.

·
Registered
260 Posts
we have a few samona pin nailers that we use everyday. I think there 50 bucks. they even come with an extra firing pin and thats the only thing thats broken so far. I've been tempted to buy a cheapo framing gun. I've been a little embarressed. Now I feel a bit better about it. This is a good support group. I might even tell you guys about some of my other cheap tools. I feel so liberated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts