Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MattP
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used an 800 # based online company to make conference calls? If you have used one or know of someone who has I would love some feedback.
thanks
matt

·
Nunya
62 Posts
Google is coming out with a service that includes call conferencing.

It's currently open by invite only, but it is free.

still can't post links so you'll have to google "google voice"

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Would Skype be a sollution? Skype to Skype is free.

I know alot of people swear by it to stay in touch over long distances.

I think you can use web cams with if so desired.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
Would Skype be a sollution?
Works like a champ. I've conferenced between Germany, England and a couple of US states more than once. But the users have to be tech-literate enough to deal with it, and many folks just aren't.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Works like a champ. I've conferenced between Germany, England and a couple of US states more than once. But the users have to be tech-literate enough to deal with it, and many folks just aren't.
Did you use the web cam?

I once was going to try it(Skype) but had no REAL reason other than curiosity.

How "tech-literate"?

Heard alot of people love it.( You obviously now one of them) :thumbup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
Did you use the web cam?
I've used that for one to one calls and it worked great. Never tried it with conferencing. One of the drawbacks there would be that you only have so much real estate on your screen, so each person's image would be correspondingly smaller. Been a while though, so they may have since incorporated a way to enlarge the pic of whoever you want to focus on at any given moment. But let's face it, more video = more bandwidth.

How "tech-literate"?
That's actually kind of a tough question for me to answer. I was programming mainframes before the PC came along, and when it did I was on the scene from the ground up. So for me, it's a no-brainer.

If you're comfortable with the internet in general and have no problem adding this or that accessory to your PC, it's pretty straightforward. But for most of the general population around my age (59) it'd probably be a challenge. Of course, using Word is a challenge for a lot of folks. :laughing:

But I guarantee that if you set it up properly and try it with someone else who has it set up right, you'll be blown away with the quality. You'd swear the person is sitting in the same room with you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That's actually kind of a tough question for me to answer. I was programming mainframes before the PC came along, and when it did I was on the scene from the ground up. So for me, it's a no-brainer.
WELL EXCUUUUUUSEEEEEE ME! :notworthy:notworthy LOL

My dad was an electronics technician for the national weather service and worked on shiz like Afos (sp?) prior to doppler. Now he won't touch a 'puter. Works on mini trains as a hobby and woodworking.

I downloaded Skype on my first of three computers( went through 2 in 60 days. I'll just say HP-India-"tech" support and leave it at that) and never got to use it. Never reloaded/downloaded again.

I have an integrated web cam in my laptop never got to use it. Always thought the “back to the future” idea of video phoning was cool.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How "tech-literate"?
If you can walk and chew gum your in good shape, you don't have to be able to program punch cards or c++ to work skype.

Now if your a stubborn bastard that types with both index fingers then don't waste your time.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you can walk and chew gum your in good shape, you don't have to be able to program punch cards or c++ to work skype.

Now if your a stubborn bastard that types with both index fingers then don't waste your time.
How well? LOL

The second part NO COMMENT!!!:whistling :laughing:

I try to remember High school typing but.........

Think I'll give it a go sometime. Puters don't scare me like they used to and I've done simple things with simple web pages, programs etc.

I find most things these days are user friendly and trial by error can be fixed with restore points.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts