Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Conduit Spacing (and more)

35K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Leo G 
#1 ·
Is there a minimum space that I can have between conduits?

How many 12AWG THHN wires can I put into a 3/4" conduit, 1/2" conduit? I know it is 40% the cross sectional area of the conduit but I don't know the size of the wire with the insulation on it.

Do I need to run a neutral for each hot in the conduit? Or will one take care of all the hots. (I think it's got to be one for each hot)

Thanks (MD or SP)

Leo

#2 ·
Leo G said:
Is there a minimum space that I can have between conduits?
No there is not any code, but there are standards on conduit spacing. The U.S. Iron and Steel Institute has the best chart. I'll look it up in a little while and try to post it to this thread.

Leo G said:
How many 12AWG THHN wires can I put into a 3/4" conduit, 1/2" conduit? I know it is 40% the cross sectional area of the conduit but I don't know the size of the wire with the insulation on it.
For 3/4 you can have up to 16 #12 THHN's. For 1/2 you can have up to 9 #12 THHN's. When you start to fill a pipe this full, you get into concerns about derating the conductor's ampacity. When you have more than 3 current carrying conductors (hots and neutrals, not grounds) in the pipe, it builds heat. This causes a #12 conductor to be rated at less than 20 amps under certain circumstances, depending on how many conductors you fill the pipe with.

Leo G said:
Do I need to run a neutral for each hot in the conduit? Or will one take care of all the hots. (I think it's got to be one for each hot)
For a single phase panel, two hots on different phases can share one neutral. For a 3 phase panel, three hots on different phases can share one neutral. If all your hots happen to originate on the same phase, then each need their own neutral.

Leo G said:
Thanks (MD or SP)
No problem Leo. The bill is in the mail.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
mdshunk said:
No problem Leo. The bill is in the mail.
OK MD checks in the mail!!:Thumbs:

#7 ·
This thread is ancient. That member hasn't posted in years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.