Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend on replacing carpeting in a 7th floor condo suite. The floor is concrete with about a half inch of carpet padding on top. My concern is the neighbours on the floor below, would I need to install underlayment to ensure the neighbours down below dont hear traffic noises? and would a moisture barrier be necessary? since its 7 floors up I dont expect any moisture could gather, but I'm not sure, so I thought I better ask!

Should I expect that laminate on concrete would be much louder than laminate on underlayment?

I apologize if this has already been answered, I did spend some time getting lost in the archives before asking, I promise :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yep, always install the foam pad with the floating floor. It is always necessary. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions. Unless of course you don't mind voiding warranties and stuff. :cheesygri

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned the laminate I plan to install has a 3mil foam glued to its underside. I was talking more about the sound deadener. Not sure if i'll need additional sound dampening considering I have all that concrete between me and my neighbour.

I've seen corking, and rubber sound dampening materials available but I wasn't sure if sound could carry through that much concrete.

maybe i'll just learn to take off my shoes :p

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Moisture is not such a problem in condos as most run A/C or humidistats. Noise IS a factor. I install the minimum at least. Most of the condos here are oceanfront and I can sell lead/foam, cork or combos. Rich folks don't like to be disturbed or the source of a disturbance.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Higher end lam pad deals with DBA. That is sound from t.v's and radios (sound waves)
They will still hear ya walkin. More than the carpet.

check condo rules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glue Down!

I sell a ton of engineered and bamboo products into large condo projects in Boston and the most successful application so far has been using a flooring glue to fasten a 6mm cork underlay and then glue the flooring to that. It will not float, will give you a nice solid feel and provide some sound resistance so your neighbors below don't hear all your business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts