Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an industry standard or recommended practice for plumbing the condensation lines?

I've set up my system so that I use a pump for my primary condensation line. I have also placed a drip pan with PVC grading down toward an attic vent so that it drips outside.

Is it ok to have this setup? The inspector is saying that I should have set the lines in the opposite manner.

U

·
0 Posts
normaly we only use condensate pumps in applications where there is no possible way to slope the primary drain to a outside location. In your case, assuming the air handler is in the attic. I would have ran the primary 3/4" pvc drain with a slight fall with my linesets down to the condensor then installed my trap. As far as the aux. pan, we have to install these under any a/h located in the attic. I normaly run this drain out to either right above the kitchen window or to a side door of the house. It will be just barely stubbed out of the soffit facia so that it drips to a noticible place where the home owner can see that there is a problem with the drainage. and call a contractor to fix the problem. Did you install the system yourself??? and are you licsensed???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm not licensed. A buddy performed a side job. Supposedly, this is how they always install systems.
Your response is very helpful though; I now understand what the inspector was talking about.
I may be ok though, it would have been quite difficult to run the line with a downgrade over to a sink drain. In my situation, a pump seems like the right solution.
I ran the secondary myself though. I had no idea it was supposed to go over a window - it made no sense to me, until now.

Thanks!!

U

·
0 Posts
here in florida by the building codes we are not allowed to run the condensate drain lines into any other drains including sinks,toilets or showers and tubs. the air conditioning condensate line needs to be a stand alone drain and not tied into any other drains. Just some helpfull info. so you can pass inspection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts