Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If water is beading between panes of a typical DH window, is the only possible culprit condensation?

We had some windows installed awhile back and of the dozen or windows, one window's upper section now has water droplets on it.

Any other possibilities?

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I'll do you one better, I have a 25 year old patio door with 6" of water between the panes. Many windows have what looks like efflorescence between the panes.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
If water is beading between panes of a typical DH window, is the only possible culprit condensation?

We had some windows installed awhile back and of the dozen or windows, one window's upper section now has water droplets on it.

Any other possibilities?
Moisture between the panes of
double pane/insulated glass?
Warranty issue.....

Call your glazier! :laughing::clap:

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
it's only a warranty issue in the first year.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm *hoping* it's under warranty ~ I just need to find my paperwork from the install :blink:

...w/o that, I just may have 6" of water in there in a few years :laughing:

I don't remember if the windows were installed during '07, '08 ....have to find the :censored: contract.

I am actually more concerned with the water/condensation issue than locating the paperwork.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Most previous glass 10 year warranty & 20 year warrenty for newer glass.
Look on the spacer bar, copy the numbers & letters down, call the manufacturer & they will tell you if under warrenty or not, then if so they will send a rep to inspect. :thumbsup:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most previous glass 10 year warranty & 20 year warrenty for newer glass.
Look on the spacer bar, copy the numbers & letters down, call the manufacturer & they will tell you if under warrenty or not, then if so they will send a rep to inspect. :thumbsup:
It's definitley under warranty...I just want my paper trail complete to minimize any BS slung my way :shutup:

·
Banned
658 Posts
seal leakage,common in cheap windows. the gas leaks because of seal failure and presto,condensation!
customers get what they pay for.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's definitley under warranty...I just want my paper trail complete to minimize any BS slung my way :shutup:
Yeah that makes sense, but for me, finding paper work for my stuff??? hahaha, I would call the manufac first then depending on what they said begin ah digging..
But seriously, I guess there are some out there that would find something to void your warrenty, but for the most part, my experience, I have not run into it. A new sash is far cheaper than having a customer bad mouth the Companies name.
I have seen more times than not a door or window company will pay me to do a repair even if not the fault of the product just for that reason.

I would contact the Manufac & ask for the service department, explain, give them the numbers & go from there. Those numbers & letters tell them all they need to know to schedule an inspection. Depending on brand, they may just send you a new sash to save the cost of the rep visit.

Then if you feel you need your papers, then dig like hell.. :thumbup:
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any other possibilities?

if condensation is between the two panes of an INSULATED piece of glass it means your seal of your insulated glass has failed. you need new glass. If it has happened on alot of your windows you should contact the manufacturer or your window dealer for warranty info. and most likely you bought a low grade window. higher grade windows will warranty seal failure for 20yrs or lifetime. if you choose to replace the glass from another company, look for Cardinal IG.

·
Instructor, ex-contractor
86 Posts
Correct call on the seal failure, inert gas is gone and vapored air has gotten in. The patio door can be removed and carefully drilled up through the dessicant strip to drain the water for now. If the door is wood, water will destroy the bottom rail in time,though. Around here, we can get a reasonably-priced new inulated glass-only panel, if the door stiles and rails design allows for replacement. -United Plate Glass- Just a thought...

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct call on the seal failure, inert gas is gone and vapored air has gotten in. The patio door can be removed and carefully drilled up through the dessicant strip to drain the water for now. If the door door is wood, water will destroy the bottom rail in time,though. Around here, we can get a reasonably-priced new inulated glass-only panel, if the stiles and rails design allows for replacement. -United Plate Glass- Just a thought...

Dude...it's a window :blink:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the droplets ON it or IN it? If in it; It's not condensation so much as it is a seal failure. You can get new glass units if you don't want to repalce the entire window.

If on it; Turn down your humidifier.
They are IN it....I tilted the upper to feel both interior/exterior glass....the droplets are ON the glass inside.

These windows are MI "XACT" 2650's [if I recall]

·
86 Posts
Hey Celtic, DUDE, I was talking about Thom's patio door. Remember? I said DOOR. ...And to answer YOUR question - NO, no other possibilities - the seal FAILED. Spend more energy thinking about what you read - and less being a wise guy, okay?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Hey Celtic, DUDE, I was talking about Thom's patio door. Remember? I said DOOR. ...And to answer YOUR question - NO, no other possibilities - the seal FAILED. Spend more energy thinking about what you read - and less being a wise guy, okay?
Doode, spend more time thinking about
what you write (maybe even try the quote
button). :whistling
It's hard to guess what you are thinking
or who you're talking to. :thumbsup:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spend more energy thinking about what you read - and less being a wise guy, okay?
No, it's not "okay" DUDE.

Learn how to use the forum and the tools provided on it before telling someone else how to act.

·
Banned
89 Posts
I am going to show this post to the next person who claims my window pricing is too expensive. you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !
this is a classic case of seal failure.

·
86 Posts
Doode, spend more time thinking about
what you write (maybe even try the quote
button). :whistling
It's hard to guess what you are thinking
or who you're talking to. :thumbsup:
Sorry Neo and Celtic. I'm an older guy and I guess all Celtic's bold type made me a little grumpy - or was it the crappy day I had? I forget. Anyway, you're both right that I can't get any of my forum tools to work - except the quote feature. Even parantheses come out as revealed formatting. I think my java console is all jacked up so anything that needs it doesn't work. Tried java download fixes and realoads - no luck. Again, I didn't mean to offend you guys.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts