Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a remodel for a friend recently and at the same time he hired an HVAC guy to replace his unit. He installed a 95% effiecient Carrier gas furnace unit and placed it on a wooded frame in the basement. Well, now he's got a flooded basement because the drain line is not working properly. The problem is the AC guy won't call him back.

The pipe has comes out of the unit into a p-trap and then downward into a small pump. The pipe is clear and the pump works fine but the water never gets into the pipe to start with. The unit is level in both directions.

There is a black flange on the bottom and side of the unit under the coils. The flange has two 3/4" FPT connections, one is the drain and the other looks like it might be some sort of electronic overflow shut off. The water is blowing out from around the flange instead of building up and running out into the pipe. Also the water is running into the insulation of the outgoing duct work and dripping down but I'm not sure if that water is not coming from the same spot and just running down the front of the unit. Again, I checked the unit and it is level in both directions and there are no obstructions in the pipe or the male adapter.

Is there something missing in this install? Is there supposed to be some kind of rubber bushing or seal around that flange or is there something else maybe going on here? Thanks guys.

BTW... I took a video to show you without realising that videos are too big to upload on this site.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Could be something is blocking the drain line. You know about Uncle Murphy. I had installed a furnace & a/c one summer, and all was good. Apparantly I didn't check out the heating. Got a no heat call probably the first call for heat. Humming noise from the inducer, but, no heat. Upon further investigation, my six in one fell inside the inducer housing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Look to see if there are air restrictions on the supply side of the unit.

Check fan/blower speed. Correct size duct work. Sounds like the air is backing up inside the air handler cabinet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts