Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Plumber / Carpenter
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could cause this and what can be done to keep the moisture out?

This house has 8 vents in the foundation, all are open, there is droplets of water on the plastic on the ground, and there seems to be some kind of yellowish dripping stuff forming on the walls on the first floor, not the second floor. The house is surrounded by trees, though they are out a bit from the house, and there is no shrubs against the house either. The HO states there is never any wind blowing through the yard. I was thinking some kind of crawspace vent fan perhaps?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Be careful of damp/humid place...

Termite "tunnels" (from ground surface up to wood joints into house) will be formed... if not corrected soon!! :whistling

·
Registered
547 Posts
"What could cause this and what can be done to keep the moisture out?

This house has 8 vents in the foundation, all are open, there is droplets of water on the plastic on the ground,"
Above or below the plastic? If below, the plastic is doing its job, may want to seal around perimeter if it is loose now.

If it is above, could just be normal condensation from air on cold ground.

"and there seems to be some kind of yellowish dripping stuff forming on the walls on the first floor, not the second floor." Interior or exterior of wall? Ext. pollen settling on damp walls??
Interior, Smokers? tell them to wash the walls more often

"The house is surrounded by trees, though they are out a bit from the house, and there is no shrubs against the house either. The HO states there is never any wind blowing through the yard. I was thinking some kind of crawlspace vent fan perhaps?"

Look into getting a fan that is humidistat or timer controlled, Set it up to run when above a certain humidity or mid day- afternoon, (timer won't help when raining, but not cool & damp morning air all the time) no sense in pulling very humid air through a cool space

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Is are there water lines or duct work
down there?
Dew point is lower when the air is cooler
Bringing hot saturated air into a cooler
space.....
That's why I like a closed crawl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts