Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concrete company sent me a hot load today. 20 yard continuous pour ended being a split pour.. First 10.5 yards was good the second was hot as hell. Had to scramble to get a piece of keyway in and had to wait for the third truck.

What would you guys do? I think somone should pay. Turned into an 8 hour pour when it should have been 4-5.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good luck getting anything from a cement company. We run into sometimes when we do stamped concrete and it becomes nerve racking.

The transit companies around here will do nothing and they always blame the contractor. You know they don't clean out the extra from the previous delievery... because they are over booked and the boss wants to save money ...etc.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It is a "concrete supplier" and and not a "cement company". The cement companies make the cement for use in concrete and many own the concrete suppliers in many areas.

If you got the job done in the ideal scheduled time of 4-5 hours, what would the employees do to finish up the day? A real contractor will always schedule dome extra time for the unforeseen events and if you were a regular customer, they probably would give a credit for the extra time. Were your loads peviously ordered and scheduled? - It sounds like a perfect situation for turn-around with the same driver that knows the site and crew.

Either the load was mis-batched with someting like high early cement or the crew was using this as an excuse. thebasic raw materials sand rock did not change in a few hours or there was batching error or the second driver left early and stopped for coffee.

Small pours and finishing problems are common a constant placement/finishing problem with this type of job unless you are a regular and good customer and most good suppliers will credit regular customers. Usually, the suppliers are willing to give credits to good customers. - Here (MSP), even good customers will not get delivery for concrete salb/driveways unles the concrete meets minimum specifications ( 4000psi - 4500psi, air entrained) if you want a guarantee. After that it is up to the crew.

Being a G.C. can be a real pain since you may not be on the radar since most concrete is usually sold to a sub or a regular superintendents they have a relationship based on experience, so it gets down to being an individual situation.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a "concrete supplier" and and not a "cement company". The cement companies make the cement for use in concrete and many own the concrete suppliers in many areas.

If you got the job done in the ideal scheduled time of 4-5 hours, what would the employees do to finish up the day? A real contractor will always schedule dome extra time for the unforeseen events and if you were a regular customer, they probably would give a credit for the extra time. Were your loads peviously ordered and scheduled? - It sounds like a perfect situation for turn-around with the same driver that knows the site and crew.

Either the load was mis-batched with someting like high early cement or the crew was using this as an excuse. thebasic raw materials sand rock did not change in a few hours or there was batching error or the second driver left early and stopped for coffee.

Small pours and finishing problems are common a constant placement/finishing problem with this type of job unless you are a regular and good customer and most good suppliers will credit regular customers. Usually, the suppliers are willing to give credits to good customers. - Here (MSP), even good customers will not get delivery for concrete salb/driveways unles the concrete meets minimum specifications ( 4000psi - 4500psi, air entrained) if you want a guarantee. After that it is up to the crew.

Being a G.C. can be a real pain since you may not be on the radar since most concrete is usually sold to a sub or a regular superintendents they have a relationship based on experience, so it gets down to being an individual situation.
It's CEMEX. Dump about 1000 yards a year. About $10,000.

We had another job scheduled for the afternoon. We started dumping at 7:30am. 20 yard slab, continuous pour, broom finish and I'm gone in 4 hours. Come back at another date to cut the joints.

I always call it in the day before and will call it. This batch of 38 fiber had to come from another job. This guys water was more than half gone and it rolled of the shoot at a 3. I knew something was up when the driver grabbed the 4' bull.

Job went good other than the wait and the small dent in my schedule. I kept things light due to the Thursday and Friday.

I guess all I can say is... HO F'n HO

·
Registered
167 Posts
4-5 hrs for 20 yds? was it all by wheel barrow? Most suppliers allow you 2-3 minutes per yd to unload after mixing. Sounds like the mix was starting to set in the barrel.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck getting anything from a cement company. We run into sometimes when we do stamped concrete and it becomes nerve racking.

The transit companies around here will do nothing and they always blame the contractor. You know they don't clean out the extra from the previous delievery... because they are over booked and the boss wants to save money ...etc.
I think your right Autumn.

The way I see it is, a yard or two is OK if it's the same mix, they can adjust that at the hopper when they get a fresh load. At least thats how I was taught.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4-5 hrs for 20 yds? was it all by wheel barrow? Most suppliers allow you 2-3 minutes per yd to unload after mixing. Sounds like the mix was starting to set in the barrel.
2 trucks. After I denied the second truck we had to wait for the 3rd. I didn't mean to pour the job. Thats set up time and finish.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
I get 6 min a yard here. And 15 min set up time. Sounds like a nightmare. It could be worse. I had a pour once 1st truck, right on time. 2nd truck 45 min late and hot. 3rd truck showed up with 160 gallons of water in the mud. Told him to get the hell out of here when he asked me if i still wanted it. We managed to save the job brooming parts as we were still pouring. To top it off some little girls puppy came over and started playing in it. We were like WTF!!! Just be glad it could always be worse!

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get 6 min a yard here. And 15 min set up time. Sounds like a nightmare. It could be worse. I had a pour once 1st truck, right on time. 2nd truck 45 min late and hot. 3rd truck showed up with 160 gallons of water in the mud. Told him to get the hell out of here when he asked me if i still wanted it. We managed to save the job brooming parts as we were still pouring. To top it off some little girls puppy came over and started playing in it. We were like WTF!!! Just be glad it could always be worse!
Job was nice and flat. I rolled it of the shoot between a 4-5 so it took a little longer to set up.

I guess feeling greatful is in order here. I was pretty pissed this morning though.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Job was nice and flat. I rolled it of the shoot between a 4-5 so it took a little longer to set up.

I guess feeling greatful is in order here. I was pretty pissed this morning though.
Don't blame you. I would have probably tied thier truck up for a while, and let them know I am not gonna pay minutes.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't blame you. I would have probably tied thier truck up for a while, and let them know I am not gonna pay minutes.
They dont mess with me to much because I keep things light and invited the plant guys to a BBQ at my house the last 2 years here in NC. We did a stack pour (forms) a while back in the early in deep sand. We had to pull the trucks around with a dozer and cable. You want to talk about a mess lol lol. Came out perfect though. No honey combs or cold joints.

I know what your going to say "where the F was the pump" Dont ask :laughing::laughing:

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
When I was 16 I remember pouring walls out of a truck. even did a bit of wheeling in them as well. Pumps are nice, but not always necassary

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I was 16 I remember pouring walls out of a truck. even did a bit of wheeling in them as well. Pumps are nice, but not always necassary
Those were the days huh? mostly rear discharge trucks and pumps were scarce. We had 3 sets of 10' Symons resin ply forms and one complete truck full of fillers, corners and hardware. I got a full milk crate of walers dropped on my head from the top of the wall one summer. Knocked me out cold. I was outside checking latches and my cousin knocked it off the wall. 20 years later I'm still mad at him. Little prick. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I think that you will find that if you read the delivery ticket (probably on the back) that they are liable only to replace the material.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
i keep these fritz packs in the truck when we're on the job, these have saved my ass a couple of times when the concrete guys have droped the ball on the delivery times (heres the link http://www.fritzpak.com/products/product_standard-delayed-set.shtml) now keep in mind, i wouldnt use this on a whole batch but if you have a couple yards to get down and the ****s startin to get thick... this is a life saver

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts
If u think it was hot and it was a bad material then u should have rejected the load before u placed it, ran a bulk head and called the material house for another load. If u are still not satisfied, core it and have a testing company run a petrographic test, good luck it will cost , but it will tell u what happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts