Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work as an estimator for a GC and always run into something new that is not black and white to me which keeps my learning juice's flowing for the next project. Per the note on the drawings, we have to install steel to hold up a glass enclosure so I have the metal and glass covered. Now its the anchor bolts I am skeptical about who can help Furnish and Install that???.

I did a sitewalk and its an existing concrete deck and the job is union is so who does what is important.

Do I need to a hire a concrete sub to cut open each opening and let the structural sub insert his anchor bolts and base plates and then the concrete sub infills them in at each location. No other concrete scope that is shown in this project I can think or so is a concrete sub the right sub for this work or is there another way?

Thank you,

·
Registered
GC
709 Posts
I work as an estimator for a GC and always run into something new that is not black and white to me which keeps my learning juice's flowing for the next project. Per the note on the drawings, we have to install steel to hold up a glass enclosure so I have the metal and glass covered. Now its the anchor bolts I am skeptical about who can help Furnish and Install that???.

I did a sitewalk and its an existing concrete deck and the job is union is so who does what is important.

Do I need to a hire a concrete sub to cut open each opening and let the structural sub insert his anchor bolts and base plates and then the concrete sub infills them in at each location. No other concrete scope that is shown in this project I can think or so is a concrete sub the right sub for this work or is there another way?

Thank you,

View attachment 510662
The detail seems incomplete to me. Is there a detail for the concrete under this, or is it going into an existing slab?

·
Contractor
7,396 Posts
Why wouldn’t the glass enclosure installer just drill and epoxy in the anchors?

Ive never seen anchor bolts filled in with concrete.
He said it's a Union project.

Probably need an electrician to plug in the drill, a vacuum operator for dust collection, a certified anchor placer, a mechanic to tighten the bolts and a teamster to unload and load the truck. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Why wouldn’t the glass enclosure installer just drill and epoxy in the anchors?
The detail calls for a 3x3” steel column with a 3/8” base plate welded on the end, drilled for anchor bolts. Most storefront subs will exclude all structural steel, they limit their scope to their aluminum extrusions and the glazing. The gc will need to get a steel fabricator to submit shop drawings for approval, then fabricate the column and baseplate assembly, and deliver it to the site. Once the column is in place, the storefront sub will verify the dimension, then schedule his crew. I’m thinking the OP needs to contact the iron workers local to see about getting the column installed.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
He said it's a Union project.

Probably need an electrician to plug in the drill, a vacuum operator for dust collection, a certified anchor placer, a mechanic to tighten the bolts and a teamster to unload and load the truck. :ROFLMAO:
That's some funny **** right there!

Mike.
___

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
All of it, a simple job for any carp. But — union is union. When I was younger in the carp union, we did the whole show. A lot of cake under table & all kinds of crooked chit & a different ball of wax then. Some hellacious parties too

Mike

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
The detail calls for a 3x3” steel column with a 3/8” base plate welded on the end, drilled for anchor bolts. Most storefront subs will exclude all structural steel, they limit their scope to their aluminum extrusions and the glazing. The gc will need to get a steel fabricator to submit shop drawings for approval, then fabricate the column and baseplate assembly, and deliver it to the site. Once the column is in place, the storefront sub will verify the dimension, then schedule his crew. I’m thinking the OP needs to contact the iron workers local to see about getting the column installed.
OK

Wasnt sure how that tube was getting attached

In that case, like Eddie said, I’d hetva quote from a fab shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never done union work as a gc, did this from beginning to many times, You GC should tell you, otherwise he has no business doing this job. By the way, the plate seems thin in relation to the size of the bolts and the post.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a trick question or if I'm missing something. Either use bolts anchored in with epoxy or use expansion anchors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The steel erectors will install the anchor bolts when they erect the steel. Check the specs, they may require inspection of the post installed anchors. The anchors may also be design work delegated to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The detail seems incomplete to me. Is there a detail for the concrete under this, or is it going into an existing slab?
Better yet is there an engineer or architect's stamp on the drawing? It might be just fine to epoxy ready rod and bolt the bottom of the column to the floor. If there is no stamp on the print, then just bid it as is and get the change order ready, otherwise someone else will do the same and get the job and you will not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts