Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this and going to do my own shower and even on the kitchen floor. I am seeking advice on which supplies to use, and what will last and not last.

First, I am unsure of what concrete should be used. I have come across 3 ways.

1. Use GFRC.
2. Use pre-mix portland cement and install fiberglass mesh inside.
3. Use quickcrete countertop mix

Which way is best?

Second, I am wondering about what size I should make the panel/tiles do to strength. Should I make panels or smaller tiles? Can I make them under a 1/2" thick, or is will they crack and need to go bigger?

And last, is all about coloring and sealing. I was wondering if I can paint the panels/tiles? If I can, what paint is best? I have not seen anyone paint cement panels/tiles, most use a power/liquid dye or acid stain, but with paint you can do many more designs, colors, or even a mural.

Also, when sealing, has anyone had issues with polyurethane yellowing? I am sure it does because it is oil-based. Would something like Minwax polycrylic be ok?

Thanks for any help on this.

-joey

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.