Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Aaron
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cut a hole in a foundation to put in a egress window. I have done lots of these in CMU foundations, but never in a poured one. I have a stihl cut off saw but I am not sure how well that is going to work and I know it won't make it the full 8".

Has anyone ever used their GS 461 Rock Boss saw? Basically looks like a chain saw. Looks like they are running arouns $2200 to buy but I am not sure if this would be a useful saw or not.

If anyone has any good idea of what kind of saw to look at, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Aaron
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about making a pass on the inside and outside of the home. The challenge is the home owner does not want me using the saw inside their home.

The holes were going to get drilled for reference points in the corners. Thanks for your reply.

·
Aaron
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are concerned about the fumes inside their basement. People are a little picky on certain things but these are friends of the family so I'm trying to cooperate.

I have a 12" cut off saw and an old 9" grinder that I was planning on using but if anyone was pushing the Stihl chainsaw model, I would give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Husky makes an electric circular concrete saw.

Also seen an exhaust shroud, hooked to a hose & vented outside on a gas saw.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Also hilti makes a great electric saw that pairs with there vac. It really does capture most dust.. Some zip poles, plastic and an exhaust fan and you should be fine.

·
GC/carpenter
43,959 Posts
griz said:
Husky makes an electric circular concrete saw. Also seen an exhaust shroud, hooked to a hose & vented outside on a gas saw.
I didn't realize they made an exhaust shroud. I had to throw some guys out of a home one time because when I walked in the carbon monoxide was strong enough to kill the whole neighborhood. I couldn't believe how stupid they were doing that in a home. They were cutting for the plumber. The guy cutting had a shirt rapped around his face. What a dumbarse.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
We have a local company that does all the curb cutting- they also have track saws that bolt to the outside of the foundation and can cut all the way through.
If cutting from the inside isn't an option I'd look for someone with one of the track saws.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Rich D. said:
Also hilti makes a great electric saw that pairs with there vac. It really does capture most dust.. Some zip poles, plastic and an exhaust fan and you should be fine.
Didn't a member here do a review on that saw when it came out .

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I agree with the electric saw and a helper with a shopvac. Drill your holes and score your lines, then plunge the outside with your demo saw and find a place that rents the electric one.

The last time I had to grind inside a house on the basement wall I basically made a double clean room out of poly and then got one of those bags for inside the shopvac and captured the dust off the saw with it. Whatever didn't go in the shopvac was contained inside my little clean room.

No one complained of any dust and there was an apartment right next to where I was working.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I came across similar situation many moons ago , ended up drilling 3/4'' holes around the perimeter of needed opening with a new carbide bit . It really did'nt take that long, maybe an hour and then took a sledge to it . No dust and customer was happy .

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
skillman said:
Does he post anymore .
Nope.. I think hes too busy now for ous...

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Home depot should rent a electric demo saw...

·
Lemonade Salesman
405 Posts
Cut the outside with your demo saw. Put a diamond blade in your circular saw and cut the inside. You'll need a helper to hold the shop vac wands. We run two vacs when cutting inside. Zip Poles and plastic. Easy as can be and you'll be done in an hour. Break it out with a sledge and clean it up with the 4" angle grinder w/ diamond blade. We do this all the time. (we now use the chainsaw to finish the corners, anymore cutting than that with the chain is serious $$$)

·
Aaron
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I asked around and heard about a site work / foundation guys that also is set up for core drilling, curb cutting, anything concrete basically. He used to dig foundations for my family years ago when we still built a lot. He doesn't do a lot of work near me anymore, but long story short he said he and a helper could have it cut out in a couple hours.

Looks like I get to take the easy way out. Thank you for all of your replies. I am looking into the electric saw now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts