Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concrete roof tiles have a VERY long lead time (5 - 7 mos) at least in Florida and scheduling has caused many builders (high end as well) to go ahead and hang sheetrock and finish the drywall without having the roof tiles loaded on the roof.

Question: How critical IS the loading of the tiles on the roof prior to sheetrocking?

I've spoken with a couple other builders and they have not experienced any problems. Are they fortunate or are there future ramifications that could arise later, but are going unnoticed now?

Needless to say I'll be ready to sheetrock in about 2 weeks and still no tile.

I appreciate your responses!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Think about it this way. How much do you think that the studs will compress?
If you think that they will move, you should wait. If the base plate is tight to the floor and the studs are tight, you can probably go for it. You may want to save the final wall to lid seam until the tile is on but you will have 95% of the job done.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I would wait unless you get an authorized signaiture to proceed. If there are problems then you will be compensated when you come back. Shift that decision to the builder.

If you are the builder than I wouldnt do it,...just the fact that there will a considerable amount of weight change. Problems may not show up immediatly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would go with Tettor's suggestion, unless it's a three story structure. (But do get a waiver/consent if possible) Why the long lead time? Suppliers?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts