Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Concrete Patio

6K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  ny-contractor 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am doing a job where I have to build a concrete patio in a back yard. The problem is that I am not sure what to use as the base for the concrete. I was thinking between using either fill dirt, CR-6 Rock, crushed rock, sand, or a combination. Any ideas on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#35 ·
Im with greg on this one , We build a lot of 16x20 room additions .
I all ways spend $ on the concrete .
Most of the time i would need to make a 2nd run for gravel for the extra stone .
For 8" of lift i mite compact fill if the soil is good and create a grade bar on the perimeter .
3/4 stone base @ 4" +-
Im paying well over 100 bucks a yard . John

#36 ·
http://www.cement.org/homes/ch_bs_driveways.asp

If you read a little here you will see they recommend only 4 inches for a driveway, 5 if its a heavy load.

Now if the soil conditions are poor then you may want something thicker. But honestly you would be spending your money better on some #4 bar for reinforcement.

By the way PCA has more hours and time invested in testing concrete than just about anyone on the planet.

My father is also one of their engineers that shook his head at me when I told him about this silliness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.