Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am doing a job where I have to build a concrete patio in a back yard. The problem is that I am not sure what to use as the base for the concrete. I was thinking between using either fill dirt, CR-6 Rock, crushed rock, sand, or a combination. Any ideas on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Good. If you put that in your profile, people won't need to ask every time.

I would put 4" minimum of crushed rock under it. You can put just a bit of sand on top with your final screed. Compact it nicely. 3/4" minus will do.

what is cr-6?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. I'm just not sure with the drainage as the patio will be on a little hill. The top needs to be filled about 2 inches but the end of the patio will need to be filled about 8 inches. I should have put that on my original description but it slipped my mind. I will have a drain pathway from one side of the patio to the other but wasn't sure about the water from top to bottom.

CR6 is a type of crushed stone. I was looking around on the internet and for some reason it seems as if it's used around MD mostly.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Remove topsoil, use 3/4 QP, compact in layers and pour your 6" slab, 4500 mix, be sure to use expansion joints, they have white plastic, they look much nicer on the patio, if you want to do something extra, use wire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with the 6" slab, also with the CR6, after you remove topsoil, make sure you tamp it down good (the CR6) and I also agree with the use of the wire on top. That gives the product someting to adhere to. As it gives more strength. Since you in Mont Cty, the weather there has not been too awful bad with the weather , less all the rain y'all been getting. Good luck Man!:thumbsup:

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,071 Posts
I have to agree with Rusty. That does seem a bit robust, for MD.

And, sorry Greg, those white plastic E.J.'s look good when you put them in, but it wont be long before they are all busted up.
I like the rubber ones, they're harder to install, but will outlast most other products.

The gravel, I would use 3/4 clean, (2B), around here.
What is this CR6? Crusher Run? = Modified? Just wondering, never heard that before.

OK, carry on, j.

D.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure why anyone hasnt said this yet but.... Why not just clear gravel? Doesnt settle and easy to work with! 95% of all concrete around here that I have seen has all been clear gravel base. And never a problem. Whenever we are doing a base for a concrete pad we always use clear gravel.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Its fine if you like over spending your customers money.

You don't even need 6 inch for a driveway.

Is rather save that money for something I call profit!

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I guess you haven't been doing this long enough to know that you will actually save your client money... If we take a 18 x18' patio as an example, which is 324 SF, doing with 4" of concrete you need 4 yards, which is a short load and you get banged up with the extra charge because of it. If I do 6" I only need 2 extra yards which brings me to 6 yards at $68 per yard for 4,500 mix, it will cost me a little over one hundred and you will do a much better job and give the HO a better quality patio for the same amount of money :thumbsup:

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
By your logic, is be better off giving them a few extra square feet for free and look like a hero.

I've been around this my entire life and the difference between a short load and buying 6 yards is still significant.

Then you have to deal with the extra grade work, and more diet to haul away. I guess your right. I just don't get it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts