Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I can even discuss this on forum but my investor told me he's gotten a 8x11 concrete patio done for 800.00. I'm thinking this is a stretch and maybe impossible.

Also he mentioned they've gotten an basement egress window done for 800-900 dollars...

I must be doing something wrong. I can't touch those prices

·
General Contractor
8,074 Posts
Some people work cheap and its doable to get that done for that much...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The $800 could be a little high but accessibility and conditions could raise the price. A patio is not always a simple "quick and dirty" job and there always pit-falls with access and appearance.

About 7 years ago, I had 8x25 patio placed by a friend of mine (smaller concrete and masonry contractor with 2 crews). The price then was $2000. It was an exposed aggregate patio with 5% air and 4000 psi using a common mix here that was called the McDonald's mix. Every thing went right and the forms were set, mesh placed and retarder sprayed and done in about 2-3 hours.

The next morning man came to wash and brush the patio and rinse to finish the retarding process. - That is when the good profitable job went bad.

He could not get the brushing and washing to go. He immediately discovered a problem and called for help. The crew arrived and tore out the patio and got rid of the materials and mesh, releveled the area, set new mesh on 1-5/8" concrete spacers. It was poured and they were out by noon. One of the guys said my freiend had switched chemical suppliers just before and he labeled everything before a fishing trip to Alaska, but the smell of the spray did not seem right. They did not want to bother him. The employees were almost all related and seemed to be salaried by the month. They probably had to adjust some schedules and work more hours.

Bottom line is that anytime you are dealing with exposed concrete surfaces, mistakes cannot be made because they are visible soon and you must add for the potential problems and not just sf the price. Color and exposed aggregate is an extreme example, but they always exist.

A couple of months later, my friend stopped by and we enjoyed a few beers and he though the crew did a good job, because I was happy and he probably did not even know.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Some people work cheap and its doable to get that done for that much...
If I was already working close by I could slap in a patio that size for that much probably.

Provided there was nothing crazy about it of course.

I just did a 20x20 for a friend for $1300. They did the dig out and prep, I just formed it and poured it. Plain grey, light broom and done.

I stopped by to cut it today and the kids already had the basketball hoops set up.

That was bargain basement price, but it didn't bother me much to help out a friend close to home. For a customer it would have been substantially higher.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
I charge Tree fiddy! A foot- no realy, that's what I charge for 3.5" ext concrete, broom finish with fiber and 3/8 rebar. If I have to do a ton of digging or need a pump it would be more. Stain and stamp I get 6.50.

·
Registered
909 Posts
$800.00 is $9.00 a square foot. Whether it's too cheap or expensive is all relative, and depends on a ton of parameters. We do alot of patios, all of them larger than that, for much less per sq. foot. If we were working on another concrete job on the block, the access was easy, and the prep was minimal, I could do the patio for that AND make a fair profit........

·
Registered
649 Posts
The other factor that no one has brought up, is that every company has a different cost of doing business.

We pour a fairly substantial amount of concrete and I couldn't touch that price nor would I try. We just aren't set up to do that sort of thing. But I know a few guys that are and I would refer the client to them.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
please close this thead, it goes against forum rules, but how can any one talk about pricing with out all the facts, where is the patio, the dark side of the moon?, or exit 2 off the jersy turn pike?, these questions are stupid, its like asking how many balls of string to get to the moon? well dumb sh#t one if its long enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts