Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a concrete pad being poured for a interlock walkway, the pad was approx 10'x6' in each corner the auger'd down 4' which is the below the frost line here in Toronto, and then poured the pad as one whole piece, once the concrete was cured they then laid screenings over the concrete and laid the stone (dry lay) with polymeric sand in the joints.
I have seen guys and worked for a few who have just poured concrete down a few inches below grade and laid on top but never with the 4' depth in each corner.
Anyone ever seen this or think it could work?

Happy Canada day, and Independence day to my american friends for this coming 4th of July.:happybday:

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Wasn't there another question about dry laid over concrete just a few weeks ago. I don't like it at all. If you're going to pour concrete why dry lay it, and if you want it dry laid why pour concrete? Water will get through the joints and accumulate on top of the concrete, freeze/thaw you know the rest.

As for pouring below the frost line, that a big question I've never gotten a good answer to, although i think that the pilings are a good solution. If you have good draining soil, very little clay well compacted or undisturbed etc... a 4-6" slab at or just below grade would be fine.

But in my opinion, dry work needs to be able to drain below the material, wet work on top of the material, obviously the concrete doesn't drain so it's not suited to dry work

HCD SUM

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I would almost bet a crazy architect was behind that, or a "designer" that decided they had a better way of doing something that has worked since ancient Rome.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
From what I understand, you could do the piers on the end if you put down 2" foam board in between to absorb the frost heave. Otherwise the center will be pulled up from the frost protected ends right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts