Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. If you were to lay a new driveway that would join onto an existing driveway what join would be best recommended to help with shrinkage/expansion of the new slab and transfer load when a car drove over it? Any answers would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jlsconstruction

Should i join the two slabs together?

Would it work if i thickened the edge up say 200mm x 200m where the new slab meets the old, to make it a little bit more difficult the new slab is angled down on a slight rounded slope say 10 degrees towards the junction of old concrete.
Im scared of the new slab cracking on the edge where the cars would drive over this?

Cheers

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would use 1/2" x 18" smooth dowels, drill 9/16" holes in the existing slab at about 18" o.c., grease the end that slides into existing. Use a fiber pull top expansion joint, after pour pull the top and then caulk with Vulkem or similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi QCCI

Thank you for your reply. Would the smooth dowels work if the new slab was hitting the existing on a different gradient, would i have to bend the dowels to make sure they would set in the correct portion of the new slab?

Regards

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I would not bend the dowels, they need to be able to move and having a bend in them would inhibit that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, yes i was thinking that. But how do i get around the new slab not meeting the existing driveway level?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts