Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, im new here and you have probably been in your trade since before i was born. i am 14 years old and my family will be moving up north so my dad can take a job at ACC up there. the problem is i am only mere steps away from attaining the rank of eagle scout. ive been a boy scout down here forever and as my deadline approaches i need to plan and conduct a service project for the community. a representative from the sponser church and i were talking and to make a long story short, i offered to put in a dumpster pad for their parking lot.
the problem being that my dad is out of town and communication is difficult. i have no idea me what i need 2 do or where 2 begin :eek: ?!? i do know they have 1 dumpster and an asphalt parking lot and that they chose wood fence over chainlink or block for an enclosure.....whats my first step?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Moving up north? That could mean almost anywhere depending on where you live now.
Anyway, call the trash company and find out how large a pad is required. Then determine a good location for the pad (good ingress and egress, proximity to other improvements, etc.). The next steps will depend on wether the pad will be in an existing paved area or existing green area.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wow, thanx a bunch 2 everyone so far, ill keep u guys posted. i cant thank u guys enough. and FYI, my dad moved out to florida after retiring from the navy (he was mostly a seabee) to work as an employee of uniiversal and later contractors like valey crest amd greenbyer. hes moving to colorado because hes tired of being a fireman (whatever that means). thanks again ! u guys r a big help

·
Registered
88 Posts
5 bucks says little Jimmy didn't get a merit badge for spelling and grammer. Good luck, kid. Good advice above, call some local concrete contractors for help on your project. I'd also contact a local readymix supplier and hit them up for a donation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my dads's bud hooked me up with as much 3000 as i need! sweet. props to castle construction 4 the generosity.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I figured that out halfway through his first post. My guess is that he's about 17 and has lady problems.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I figured him for another whacko and never opened it.
Expect them from time to time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That link is funky, you ought to go ahead & edit it out of his post Moderators, he's got one more thread up titled Hello, the link to "My Space" in that post is to an online website builder, my teenagers use it as well. According to his bio there he's 16, who knows? :rolleyes: From the content I saw there I'd say he's a long way from eagle scout material, unless scouts have changed alot in the last 30 yrs.

My .02¢, send over to the other site, definitely not contractor material. The downside to having a useful site become popular, all the fruit and nuts come out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
huh? im 15 but u cant register 4 myspace unless your 16. think what u will, its fine. maybee scouts have changed, the values r there but we have our issues. the executives are corrupt as heck and there r child protection issues but you know that by the news. look, i do thank the ppl who helped me get rolling and yeah, maybee im not an exemplary person but im all about honesty (one of the points of our law) and just about everything on my myspace is my own personal feelings. the society has changed but 1 thing is still a constant. when u go out into the woods and you enjoy yourself in a primal way, you get more satisfaction then any drug can give you. just today i got home from our district campo-ree. our troop (troop 223) took a few patrol competition awards , 3rd best shelter, and 2nd best overall troop. we pride ourselves in beating out the other 7 units that showed up (some venturers) with the exception of 996 to show our place in the sandlake district. when the cfc fall-fellowship comes around we should be in good contention. the point is this: the myspace account is faily accurate, im a teenager, i can help it. i am adament about getting this recognition as i have put many years (6) into this program and held high honors at the patrol, troop, and even OA (order of the arrow-scoutings nationalhonor society) chapter and lodge. i understand your skeptesism and expected it however, it bugs me when ppl judge or make assumptions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
sry bout the dub-post

my link is a signature, it is a fun little java-based script that displays your computers specs, i cant read them, only u can. dont judge man, thats not cool.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Saintjimmy,

If I've misjudged, I do appologize, but with several years of internet bb participation and a couple of yrs of moderating experience, I'm learned that not all posters are who they say they are. You initial post stated you were 14, your web page says 16, and you just said you were 15. Trust is something you have to earn, by being honest and forthright and thus far you haven't been completely honest, now have you.

As far as understanding teenagers, well as the father of 5 of them right now, I can say that it's a learning and growing experience each and every day. I know I have good kids, but their tastes in fashion, music, tv shows, etc I don't agree with them, but I try not to judge too harshly. I know my kids think I'm pretty out of touch with present day reality, but I think they also know I love them and always have their best interests in my heart. But understand them, no not fully.

Surely you understand that there are all sorts out on the net, some of those millions get off on wreaking havoc by introducing nasty viruses, worms, etc to the web. Their motives are varied, but none are good for the community as a whole. Sad, but this is the world we live in. As long as you genuine and are truely only seeking advice from the voice of experience, that's great and you are welcome to join in, if you motvies are otherwise, you'll simply be banned from participating.

However this particular bb is for contractors and others that actually work in the industry. Your membership here should be transferred over to the diyer site at www.diyrepair.com, that site is for layman like yourself that are seeking advice from pros on construction related topics. Please go to DiyRepair.com and register there and feel free to post any questions you may still have concerning the project you have in mind.

I think you've been presented with some real good reference material to understand how to make this concrete project a reality in a professional manner and earn that eagle badge. If you still have questions post them on the diyer site and the folks there, many of the same ones that are on this board, will be happy to help you all they can. Good luck! :Thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.