Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
People do this because it takes away the urge to put your footprints in it.

This has been going on since the beginning of time. People have found footprints in lava flows and since then people just started grooving because it is less painful.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Please tell me this is a joke!?:blink:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I guess another good answer would be because they don't have a saw. Seriously, I would rather groove than cut because of the noise and dust and it is done before the concrete even thinks about setting up. I think we've all seen slabs that are cracked in the morning where they go around an inside corner.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Two solutions to cracks -

1. Use the right mix without too much water - better concrete, but more grunt labor.

2. Saw late the same day when it is easy and fast with no dust. If it is warm it could be too late the next day. if you get there after 10:00 AM. the next day you might be too late, especially with a wet mix that loses water to the surface and the base. - If you saw, it is much cheaper, better and a more professional job and look that you can use as a reference.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Sawed control joints are more prone to spawling. There is a reason why some guys cut them in while finishing exterior work. But for interior nothing beats the look of a nice tight line from a saw. And by the way Pee Wee They are called control joints to try to control where the concrete cracks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it's an honest question then here it goes.

Tooled control joints (that's the name) are there to relieve the stress points and give concrete a place to crack.The old adage it gets hard and cracks is true,so we put them in to follow our way of thinking (crack here).Also if one pays attention the reason for tooled joints (exterior) is freeze thaw.Ever notice how the joint is V'd? When water freeze it expands,it allows the expanssion to move up.

Soft cutting is mostly used interior,most floors cover with something,not all.It makes for a nice clean looking floor,inside wharehouses and such.They are right about one thing,cut as soon as they can get on it.

The long and short of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts