Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client has a raised concrete patio that he wants extended by 3 feet on each side. The patio is raised approx. 4 foot from the ground at it highest location and sits on croncete blocks with brick facing. They also want to eventually cover the patio with a structure attached to the house with posts at the far end which would rest on the new extension. This is my first attempt at a job like this. I know I will need to pour new footers and build with concrete block and backfill with rock to support the new slab extension. My question is how deep should the footers be below ground? Do I follow the freeze depth recommendation for my area which is 30"?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My client has a raised concrete patio that he wants extended by 3 feet on each side. The patio is raised approx. 4 foot from the ground at it highest location and sits on croncete blocks with brick facing. They also want to eventually cover the patio with a structure attached to the house with posts at the far end which would rest on the new extension. This is my first attempt at a job like this. I know I will need to pour new footers and build with concrete block and backfill with rock to support the new slab extension. My question is how deep should the footers be below ground? Do I follow the freeze depth recommendation for my area which is 30"?
without a doubt, follow the code or your liable and ultamatley it will fail

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
All things considered, and your lack of experience with this, you would be advised to get a competent concrete sub to work with you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts