Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast should a mildly skilled concrete finisher be able to broom finish a 5 foot wide path way about 200 feet long?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course that is after it has been poured and screeded. This would be to float and broom finish or just to broom finish. Thanks for the quick reply. Young guy trying to learn. Much appreciated! :)

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
did you get your ass chewed out for taking to long?

Reactions: AmeliaP

·
Lemonade Salesman
405 Posts
There are a lot of variables left out. Is this wet cut or saw cut? Do you have a 5' wide bull float? If you're running a smaller bull float you are going to be hand floating out your lines. If it's wet cut that's 40 cuts. Wet cuts almost always need hand floated to remove lines. I can't reach all the way across a 5 foot wide walk to that means a pass up each side by hand. I could probably go from bull float to done in an hour maybe hour and a half. Saw cut I'd be done in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
There are way too many variables. Concrete, temperature, humidity. Regardless of someone's ability the concrete will get hard at it's own rate.
For me, I would figure 2 guys all day. This gives guys plenty of time to pour and finish the concrete, then strip the forms (carefully), and then very lightly place some backfill.
Of course maybe you are just figuring time for a finisher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a lot of variables left out. Is this wet cut or saw cut? Do you have a 5' wide bull float? If you're running a smaller bull float you are going to be hand floating out your lines. If it's wet cut that's 40 cuts. Wet cuts almost always need hand floated to remove lines. I can't reach all the way across a 5 foot wide walk to that means a pass up each side by hand. I could probably go from bull float to done in an hour maybe hour and a half. Saw cut I'd be done in about 20 minutes.
Yeah it will all be dry cuts. Also it's only 3' wide I double checked my notes. Alot of good info in that post. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are way too many variables. Concrete, temperature, humidity. Regardless of someone's ability the concrete will get hard at it's own rate.
For me, I would figure 2 guys all day. This gives guys plenty of time to pour and finish the concrete, then strip the forms (carefully), and then very lightly place some backfill.
Of course maybe you are just figuring time for a finisher.
Yeah I agree definitely a day project. I was mainly looking at a time estimate for the finisher for budgeting. It's a 3' wide sidewalk around a small house. 50x40x50x40. I'm planning on using a Georgia buggy to run the concrete around at delivery. They only want a 4" think sidewalk. There will be fiber. First time using one so I hope I don't make a mess for the guy screeding... Haha

·
Registered
179 Posts
if your only gonna have you and another guy I wouldnt be worried about time as much as making sure the other guy can finish. alot of diffrent things can happen and when this gets hot your gonna have alot going on with just 2 guys, with hosing down buggy, hopefilly a good truck driver, edging ect. most broom heads will fit on your float handle put one guy on the other side to pick it up and you can reach across the pour. ask the other guy how much time he thinks, and how long you think and add 2hrs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
haveing and extra guy never hurts, I had to make a cut and dig out about $200 of concrete that set up cause my ego was faster than the concrete :whistling I didnt lose $ but its better safe than sorry with concrete.

·
Lemonade Salesman
405 Posts
I think you are putting way to much weight on this project. If it's only 3' wide I'd wet cut the whole thing. I'd need one guy dumping concrete for me but other than that I'd finish it myself. A 3' walk is cake to reach across. Even if you don't have an actual concrete broom you could finish that with a fine shop broom. It'd take about 5-10 minutes to broom.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,323 Posts
Is it flat on both sides of the sidewalk, bushes, trees or houses on one or both sides, hilly terrain................

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'm not sure why it is important how long it will take.

I poured a lot of sidewalk one summer and it was in a town with a wide parking area, so it was all wheelbarrowed.

I had a guy helping to remove concrete, form up, place fill, compact, etc. Then I was getting a couple of other guys to help during the pour.

It is always somewhat of a cluster with the help. I decided it was best if I did nothing except supervise. If you start to screed with guys wheelbarrowing in front of you, then the next thing you know you have an extra 4" of concrete.

Anyway, you want to get it screeded and have someone go back to the beginning and start edging immediately. We had to pour a 4" slump all the time and it was c4 concrete. Float the whole thing as fast as you can get it edged, then go back and trowel it. Often we were hand floating and hand troweling. Then it will be time to put the broom finish on it.

You will want to get a 3' float and trowel and a soft as well as stiff broom.

With a 4" slump and the stickier concrete, you may need to move fast depending on the weather and a stiff broom will save you sometimes. Other times you will want to finish the job and the softer broom will allow you to broom and move along.

To answer your question, it all depends on the temperature, the sun, the wind, the slump of the concrete. If the concrete is loose and it is 3' wide pour, one guy can screed it from the side very quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was all a short simple question based just off of an estimate for labor for a finisher. Just needed a very basic ballpark. This seems to be just like any other forum. You find some nice educated answers that relate to the forum and then you find a bunch of people who want to add their two cents worth of sense. Thank you guys for the replies to the original question and the added knowledge as well that was pertinent!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts