Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Contractor
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently completed a project to repair the facade of a building that was constructed in 1972-73 area.

The original build left some of the reinforcing steel too close to the face of the concrete. This is the result of 40+ years of weather.

We removed any loose and failing concrete, and cleared out along and around some of the rebar. We coated the steel with aluminized urethane primer, recommended by the manufacturer of the repair mortar we will be using.

We placed props under some form boards to hold the repair mortar in place and started filling in to build it back out.

Completed. We expect the repair area to lighten quite a bit as the mortar cures, and it should blend in better. I don't know what the client intends to do about the look of the rest of the facade. As you can see it's in pretty rough condition, and needs some attention, but we were to address only the busted up and failing corners.

·
CCC
275 Posts
Looks good but stupid question. Won't the same thing happen again since the rebar is at the same depth and wasn't moved? Typically patch won't hold that well no matter what they tell you. The should've had you skim the entire thing to dress it up though.

·
Contractor
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually I would have turned this type of repair down due to the failure rate of the products available.

The product we used is not a portland cement based product, it seems more like an epoxy of sorts. I really don't know what it is made of. But the manufacturer claims it do be a permanent repair that will not pop off.

We coated the steel with a primer that is supposed to seal and prevent future rusting of the rebar.

Time will tell if it holds up or not....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts