Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Concrete encased conduit for service cable

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  paul100 
#1 ·
We are in the process of building three new homes. On the first one the service entrance enters the house at the top of the first floor. It is run in conduit down through the first floor into the basement where it exits the house and goes into the meter base.. Our electrician said that the conduit needed to be incased in at least 2 inchs on concrete so it is fireproof since the serive cable is not fused. We did that and had the inspection which passed.

My question is. Does it really need to be incased in concrete or is there another method that is code approved?

The reason it was run in the house instead of on the outside is because it would of had to go through a pent roof.

The next two homes dont have the pent roof but the owner would like to run it inside instead of having it visible on the brick.

Thanks

#5 ·
I just ran into something similar with and underground service upgrade. We had to encase the conduit from where it came through the foundation wall up to the bottom of the meter base. New code here my electrician said. it's to prevent someone from tapping into it before the meter. My thinking is anyone crazy enough to tie into that main wire while it's hot isn't going to bat an eye at 2" of concrete

#8 ·
I wasn't aware that Peco still allowed new homes to be built with the meter inside the house. I thought they only allowed residential single family meters to be located outdoors on new construction. Why not locate the meter elsewhere on the exterior of the house and then install a disconnect for OCPD and run 4 wire SER to the panel? Or for that matter, just run an underground service to the pole instead of an aerial.

#10 ·
The meter is outside. The cable I was talking about is the feeder cable from where it attaches to the house to the meter socket. We didn't want the cable on the outside of the house since it would have had to go through a pent roof to get to the meter socket. We wanted it to run inside from point of attachment to the socket.

We did end up encasing it in concrete and it passed inspection. Was hoping there was an alternative to the concrete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.