Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on concrete demolition, using a bobcat. I just got roped into a 4000sq ft driveway job. The width is 12' thickness about 4". I live where it seldom freezes(Naples fl) so there is no rebar involved just standard wire mesh. I started with a hammer the first day which did nothing more then punch holes(nice ones though LOL) I just figured at this rate I'll be here till Christmas, so I switched to a root grapple(my all around personal favorite) started breaking off huge chunks more then my machine could lift, drop them break in 2 or 3 pieces load them into 20 yrd cans with good success(quickly) My question is this I found it very interesting and relaxing to do this and have been asked by two additional homeowners to do very similar projects(smaller scale) I was wondering what the going rates were in some of your areas for this type of work( I am thinking .75 sq ft). Also any tips or insight would be appreciated. I mean I looked at this job but not as closely as I would have had I been charging. Now I am back-pedaling:w00t: trying to remember everything I didn't know about this and all the variables that I hadn't considered when I said yes(beer involved) like the removal of some 5" of sugar sand throughout and then the installation of same in DOT base rock. Looking for opinions, insight & direction

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Well going off what you told me... i get anywhere in the area of 1800 to 2 grand for the average driveway in NY. I also have to deal with either rebar or really really thick **** when i do my demo. I tore up one last week about 50 by 20 and it had concrete 9 inches thick... im suprised though that the breaker just punched holes in it and wasnt effective... that and the industrial grapple are my go to demo tools

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well going off what you told me... i get anywhere in the area of 1800 to 2 grand for the average driveway in NY. I also have to deal with either rebar or really really thick **** when i do my demo. I tore up one last week about 50 by 20 and it had concrete 9 inches thick... im suprised though that the breaker just punched holes in it and wasnt effective... that and the industrial grapple are my go to demo tools

Thanks, now in your price estimate I am thinking you aren't including the removal from site? or what about the 150 or so yrds of in my case 5""sugar sand" and the reinstalation of 5" of base rock (shot rock). Sugar sand by the way is IMO thee worst to deal with I have to bring in a tracked cat just to go to the next step, not worse then y'alls frozen clay but agravating as H:censored::censored::censored:.

·
Banned
846 Posts
I would think that since you're using a machine you'd want to charge hourly. $100 an hour with a 3 hour minimum and a $75 mobilization charge sounds about right for a skidsteer w/ a skilled operator. As for debris removal, add 10% to whatever the dumpster company charges you for that. If the HO wants to save 10% he can pick up the phone himself.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
yeah that price is without a can... most times they want to have there own delivered. If its a small enough job ill just truck the concrete to this yard that charges 60 a truck to dump and in return will fill the truck with rca for free... its a win win its just a pain to get to the yard from most of my jobs. In your case with all that sand id just go with containers... see if you can work a deal with a local container guy to take a little of for a future frequent flyer... know what i mean

·
Registered
12 Posts
I install interlocking paver driveways we usually include the demo in the price of the driveway. My sub charges $3.80 to tear out concrete excavate dirt haul in recycled concrete(flex base) and sand then install the pavers on top. If the job is already excavated they charge $3.30-$3.00. The prices go down as square footage goes up the price show is for under 1000sqft 3.50 for 1001 to 2000 and 3.30 for 2000 and up. I wouldnt do the demo for any less that $0.75 to $0.80 but if you have to haul in any type of base material to build it back up then you will need to figure that into your price too. I live in Texas and I know from talking with fellow paver installers in Florida we can not compete with their prices so mine might be off a bit and we do not have to pay a dump fee for concrete it is recycled and you just purchase the base material right there so using your own dump is benificial for that purpose.

Forgot to mention we use skidsteers with pallet forks on them to rip up the concrete just get started at one of the expansion joints and go at it. You might also want to think about adding a rebar clause to your contract incase you get in a drive with rebar. We have only had a few drives with rebar in it but it takes a lot longer to fight through it and cut them all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.