Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother works for Lafarge and is trying to convince me to do poured-in-place concrete countertops in my flip house. I have never done concrete countertops before but have quite a bit of experience with concrete. I'm just wondering if anyone with experience installing or selling countertops could comment whether they think this would be a good idea or if it would deter potential buyers come selling time? I am also interested in tackling this project because of how much cheaper it would be compared to granite (I am willing to put in the hours). Also, if anyone has any secrets regarding poured in place countertops I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,725 Posts
I am an advocate for doing things different in specs/flips.

However, IMO concrete counter tops would limit the market segment you need to turn that baby over quick.

All depends what is popular in your area & if it still will be when you plant the "For Sale" sign out front...:thumbsup:

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I've been doing a few flips recently. It seems to be ok to do one or two unique things as long as there aren't more than that. Every house seems to have something a little odd, but the rest is very conservative and in line with what everyone wants.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My brother works for Lafarge and is trying to convince me to do poured-in-place concrete countertops in my flip house. I have never done concrete countertops before but have quite a bit of experience with concrete. I'm just wondering if anyone with experience installing or selling countertops could comment whether they think this would be a good idea or if it would deter potential buyers come selling time? I am also interested in tackling this project because of how much cheaper it would be compared to granite (I am willing to put in the hours). Also, if anyone has any secrets regarding poured in place countertops I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Not for a flip! Concrete is not for most people and i doubt the buyer is going to appreciate you for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tend to agree with you Golden view. We are doing white shaker cabinets with glass doors in the corners so I think the uniqueness and imperfections of concrete would play off the cleanliness of the white cabinets quite well. I may have just answered my own question, however being my first flip I am a little nervous about doing anything out of the ordinary.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure I'd do cast in place. Formed GFRC can look like granite, so it's kind of a different story. If you're not doing volume, keep it conservative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts