Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an enquiry for a concrete countertop for a kitchen island to be 7' x 10' overall dimensions. There would be a 1' overhang on one side of the 10' length and a 1' overhang on one end of the 7' width. Thickness would be 1 1/2". There would be a cutout for an undermount sink and a cutout for a surface mounted stove top. Total weight would be about 1100 lbs.

Has anyone on this site tackled anything this large and fabricated in a mold and then transported it to site? It may be better to pour this large a piece in place, but client wants a flat and smooth surface.

My early thoughts are that the pour table would have to be reinforced to ensure a flat surface - possibly using laminated floor beams. Any ideas on how to complete the pour quickly and then vibrate, or pour sections and vibrate them as you go. Would it make sense to use 2 cement mixers and many extra hands during the pour? Moving the countertop would of course be done with the top in vertical position and with a heavy wooden frame.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
There are only a couple of real concrete counter pros on board. They may be offline and missing your question or doubting your ability to tackle this job. I would help if I could but only qualify as a dabbler in the art for now. Have you tried any of the trade specific forums?

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments Dave.
I put this question out to Contractor Talk just as a check on my own thinking about how to go about doing this project -thereby minimizing risk. It appears that no one has done anything this large, or they're keeping quiet about it, which is also fine.
We are actually looking forward to this challenge, and will post pictures if we are successful in landing the project.

Richard

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
7' x 10'??? That's a freakin patio:eek:

How you gonna get it through the door?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi TimelessQuality,

I had no idea that they moved Kansas!!

I haven't seen the house yet -(dealing with a cabinet maker at this point), but my initial thinking is that if the HO wants a 10' x 7' countertop, he must also have a humungous front door. It would be a bit sad if we arrived with the countertop and it wouldn't fit, would it be our fault or his?

We have a lot more to learn about this project before we can even bid on it.

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts