Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just moved in to my house..built brand new so the concrete is still fairly new...I won't be installing a finished floor in the basement for a while. Walking on the concrete floor is making me track dusty footprints all over my dark stained hardwood on the main level..
What is the best method to help stop this? Other than wearing shoes down there.....I've heard sweeping/wet mopping won't completely remove all the dust. Is there a type of seal/coating I can buy and apply to the floor to avoid such a mess? Is there a certain amount of time I should wait until applying such coatings?
Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts
Hey I just moved in to my house..built brand new so the concrete is still fairly new...I won't be installing a finished floor in the basement for a while. Walking on the concrete floor is making me track dusty footprints all over my dark stained hardwood on the main level..
What is the best method to help stop this? Other than wearing shoes down there.....I've heard sweeping/wet mopping won't completely remove all the dust. Is there a type of seal/coating I can buy and apply to the floor to avoid such a mess? Is there a certain amount of time I should wait until applying such coatings?
Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Before you apply any sealer u must first wash any debri frome surface, get down there and clean, it might take two or three times but clean that dust up, u do not need to seal the dirt in, sorry, no cheep fix. Depending on what floor u are putting over it in a later time, be careful on what sealer u want to put on it, it can make your job twice as hard!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Ryan, what type of floor will the basement eventually have? This will help to determine what is the best coating for you now. Whatever coating it ends up being, step 1 as mentioned above is a good washing and rinsing, throw a little baking soda in the water. GMOD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldnt seal your floor either right now.. a good washing.. once you seal.. it will be a pain if you decide you would like to even add in future a decorative concrete application. Wash with the old traditional **** and span... you even may want to acid stain post clean... and then add a sealer.. of course after you neutralize.. then you have a fabulous floor you can use and its sealed.
good luck to you,
C

·
Versacoat
18 Posts
Here is a product I use on all of my outdoor concrete coatings. I have also used it in underground garages for sealing the concrete from moisture coming through the concrete. The reason I use it on outdoor concrete is because there is never a vapor barrier put under the concrete before it is poured. This can cause the problem with some of the products I use because they do not "breath". This product also helps to reduce the dusting of the concrete and internally seals the concrete. It will not affect any type of flooring you put over it but will instead enhance the bonding of your coating, adhesive, etc.

It will not let me post a website until I have 15 post or more so look up a company called Durassure and look at their product called SealMax.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where are you now in your process?

Hi Gene03,
You posted your original ques. back in Jan. Where are you now in the process of coating your basement floor? I'm curious what you decided to do.
We had a similar situation recently and just installed a beautiful decorative epoxy chip floor with Florock.net product. You might give them a call -- I'm sure they have an expert rep in your area: 800-356-7625 (800-FLOROCK).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts